Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2011 9:17:41 AM EDT
I am looking into upgrading parts/accessories on my 10/63. Now, this may sound like a ridiculous question to the Pros...but, my receiver does not have the large rectangular cut above the mag well (milled), nor does it have the small oval-shaped recess (stamped). I was about to just assume it is a stamped receiver; most of my parts have "1982" on them. I've seen a lot of pics of other WASRs and the receivers look similiar to mine. What type of receiver do I have? Are all WASR receivers the same?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
it is stamped. wasr's use added guide rails inside of the receiver for the mags instead of the oval dimples. any and all accessories for a stamped ak will work on your wasr. they may have several different muzzle thread sizes so verify that before you purchase any muzzle attachments.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The receiver has been modified to work with single stack magazines to comply with Romanain export and US import regulations.
The indentations were eliminated so that brackets that stabilize the single stack magaznes could be welded inside the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Guys! I read about the WASRs having plates welded inside in lieu of "dimples" to hold mags in place...I just never realized that the "dimples" came from the oval-shaped recesses in the receiver above the mag well.

ONE MORE QUESTION. I am going to be taking a dremel to the magwell to round out the rough edges at the rear of the mag well. Would it also be a good idea to smooth out any rough burrs on those plates that are welded inside the magwell/receiver or would that be ill advised?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
if you are converting to hi-cap you will need to remove some material from the inner guide rails as well to fit a hi-cap mag. they were sized to hold a single stack mag tight as POLY stated above.
*EDIT* my reading skills are lacking i guess. if it is a 10/63 you are obviously not changing it to hi-cap because it was already done for you. if your mags go in and out ok i wouldn't take too much more off the corners as you may make the mags wobble more. maybe a file to nock the burs off would be safer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
No, my WASr GP 10/63 accepts hi-caps already, its just that about 1 in every 3 mags has a tight fit to it and are a bitch to get out. The mags go in nice and easy, but getting them out requires a little extra effort for probably every third mag. The mags I have are the 30 rd. Steel, probably East German. The weapon feeds and cycles fine, I am just considering opening up the well a bit more by removing some burrs and smoothing out rough edges. Thanx for the input, though!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
polish the bottom of your mag release. my sar did this w/ some mags after firing i assume the release walked up the slope of the mag tail making it hard to release. i just used a felt wheel and smoothed out the bottom of the release, problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, 'mays. I'll give it a shot.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top