Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2010 7:51:53 AM EDT
I was surfing Gunbroker this weekend and I see a couple of ads by TGI, selling some of their previously offered AK's. Are they still building/converting AK's or is this old stock they are cleaning out?

Either way, I couldn't help myself. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=193318631

Brand New AK-47 underfolder with Plum Poly US K-Var furniture And Premium Grey Parkerized gun finish. Made in Romania. Chrome lined 7.62 X 39mm Barrel. Includes Black Bull Dog soft case,Cleaning Kit,Leather Sling and 1x30rd Promag. Bayonet lug has been cut off per BATF Regs.

Since it was the weekend, I didn't have time to ask questions before purchasing... So I did a famous impulse buy!  I believe its a parts kit build, but some of the wording in the ad makes me wonder.

Now I'd like to find out exactly what I purchased...

1. Does anyone own one of these and are you please with it?

2. Did TGI build these from a parts kit or import them pre-built, then add US parts? They listed it as "made in Romania."

3. Is the barrel US made or imported?

4. Why would the bayonet lug need to be cut off per BATF Regs if it was a kit build?

5. Have they been selling these for awhile?

Any other info would be great! As always... Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll get the obvious bit out of the way:

Built in US on Nodak Spud receiver (so shows the last picture in the auction.)

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was surfing Gunbroker this weekend and I see a couple of ads by TGI, selling some of their previously offered AK's. Are they still building/converting AK's or is this old stock they are cleaning out?

Either way, I couldn't help myself. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=193318631

Brand New AK-47 underfolder with Plum Poly US K-Var furniture And Premium Grey Parkerized gun finish. Made in Romania. Chrome lined 7.62 X 39mm Barrel. Includes Black Bull Dog soft case,Cleaning Kit,Leather Sling and 1x30rd Promag. Bayonet lug has been cut off per BATF Regs.

Since it was the weekend, I didn't have time to ask questions before purchasing... So I did a famous impulse buy!  I believe its a parts kit build, but some of the wording in the ad makes me wonder.

1. Does anyone own one of these and are you please with it?  N/A

2. Did TGI build these from a parts kit or import them pre-built, then add US parts? They listed it as "made in Romania."  With a NODAK SPUD receiver it is a parts kit gun
3. Is the barrel US made or imported? If it is chromelined it most likely is imported but could be USA made.  Gotta ask TGI.

4. Why would the bayonet lug need to be cut off per BATF Regs if it was a kit build?  Sounds like BS.

5. Have they been selling these for awhile? Unknown.  TGI has been "building" AK's for a while and has produced severals runs of AMD-65's, AMD-63/65 Frankenstein guns, and AK74's.

If you call over to TGI ask to speak with Ryan or Bill  865-977-9707.  They were the 2 I spoke with about my AMD-65 repairs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I figured it was a parts kit build, which I'm fine with.  Indeed, the US made receiver is a give away.  I'll give them a call during business hours to get more details.  I was hoping others had already done the leg work and had exprience with this particular model...

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
fuatos,

Have you gotten this yet? How do you like it?  I'm seeing the seller is still listing them on gunbroker and I'm kinda interested.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
fuatos,

Have you gotten this yet? How do you like it?  I'm seeing the seller is still listing them on gunbroker and I'm kinda interested.

I haven't received it yet.  I sent the funds this week and should have it next week.  I called them earlier this week and they said they only have 3 or 4 left.  I guess they are clearing out some left over inventory, from when they were in full production mode of AK's...  Not sure if it was a line, but it seems to make sense, since they are now only importing C&R stuff.  

I'll get some pics and a review when the rifle shows up.  I was really hoping someone had purchased one of these and had some sort or write up on it.  From the conversation, the rifles were built from imported Romanian kits, have the orig barrel, and numbers matching.

Here's to hoping its as good as it sounds...
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1. Does anyone own one of these and are you please with it?

2. Did TGI build these from a parts kit or import them pre-built, then add US parts? They listed it as "made in Romania."

3. Is the barrel US made or imported?

4. Why would the bayonet lug need to be cut off per BATF Regs if it was a kit build?

5. Have they been selling these for awhile?

I bought one of these a couple of years ago when Centerfire got a small shipment of them. They are kit-builds with romanian barrels. The one I had was very well made. I only put about 500 rounds through it before trading it towards a preban Norinco, but it functioned flawlessly. Go for it! You wont be dissapointed!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
So.. should I get one of the these or the WASRUF from J&G Sales?
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So.. should I get one of the these or the WASRUF from J&G Sales?

I would say get one of these. If I remember correctly, they were only about $50 more than a WASR. But, I dont know if J&G has them or not.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top