Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 3:59:45 PM EDT
Today I got to shoot the PSL I bought a couple of weeks ago.

I ran about 80 rounds of 7.62x54R light ball (147 grain) through it using a couple different magazines.  Some of the ammo was early 1960s Soviet surplus, while the rest was mid-1970s Hungarian.  I experienced no malfunctions and the rifle's action locked back every time it ran dry.  Unlike most AK variants, the PSL has a last round bolt hold-open.

I started at 25 yards to get the rifle on the paper.  The iron sights were pretty close while the scope required more adjustment to get on paper.  Once I had a rough 25 yard zero I moved over to the 100 yard range.

The PSL has a fairly light, somewhat whippy barrel.  Supposedly groups string vertically when the gun heats up, but I didn't really notice it doing so.  At 100 yards it looks like it's a 2 to 2.5 MOA rifle with milsurp ammo.  Using the iron sights at 100 yards it's easy to keep all the rounds inside of the bull of an SR-1 target.  I can do that with my Yugo AK and irons but the longer sight radius of the PSL makes it much easier.

The 4x24mm LPS scope has very clear optics although there is a slight amber or yellow tint.  At 100 yards I was able to resolve .30 caliber holes if they were in the white.  That's good performance from a 4x scope.  The Dragunov reticle allows for precise aiming and with illumination would be visible in field conditions.  Unfortunately, the LPS scopes were tritium illuminated, mine was made 30 years ago, and the tritium no longer glows.

I am glad that I put an FSE recoil pad on the stock before taking it to the range.  This isn't so much for the recoil as to lengthen the stock.  Had I not done so I might have wound up with "scope eye" from the ocular bell hitting my eyebrow.

Compared with a Mosin-Nagant firing the same 7.62x54R cartridge, the PSL is much more pleasant to fire.  The gas operated action of the PSL soaks up quite a bit of the recoil.

Even though the stock is shaped for a right hander I had no problems shooting the rifle portside.  However, the scope is offset to the left and I want to replace it with a centered optic, which will be more comfortable.  A centered optic also will avoid the necessity to adjust for windage when shooting past 100 yards, due to the offset of the LPS.  (Obviously I'll still have to take wind drift into account.)  Tonight I ordered a 6x42mm POSP with integral Weaver mounts, and a BP-02 rail from Kalinka optics.

It's just one range session but I am very happy with this purchase.  The PSL is accurate, reliable, and pleasant to shoot.  Right now I think it's the best deal going in a semiauto centerfire rifle chambering a full power round.

Some pics of my rifle:

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that one of the Centerfire rilfes?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot mine at the range last weekend.... they are my new favorite guns...  
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is that one of the Centerfire rilfes?

No, I bought it from Surplus City in Feasterville, PA.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up mine from Surplus City a few days ago. Great shop.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The first thing I noticed about your post was how well written it was.  Then I saw you were an attorney so I was able to reconcile it.

PSL Barrel whip video.  I never realized barrels did this...
Romanian PSL 8 rounds 1200 frames per second http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozyw84Swmb4

One of my favorites... I had a girlfriend tell me I would be this guy in 5 years.  I take that as a compliment.
Fast forward to 3 minute mark...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_atWNZ3Mc40&feature=related

sgtking11b  is the reason I bought my psl.   does 400 and 600 yard shooting with surplus ammo
http://www.youtube.com/user/sgtking11b#p/u

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Just fyi, the yellow tint is a filter that will pop off the end of the scope.  You may have to twist if a little to get it off.  I did on mine.

Once it is off you will really be suprised at the quality of the glass.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just fyi, the yellow tint is a filter that will pop off the end of the scope.  You may have to twist if a little to get it off.  I did on mine.

Mine didn't have a filter.  I got a filter like you describe when I got a PSL accessrory kit from TN Guns.  The glass in my scope has a slight tint.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine didn't have a filter.  I got a filter like you describe when I got a PSL accessrory kit from TN Guns.  The glass in my scope has a slight tint.

That sucks.  Mine is crystal clear.  It's even better than my $800 Nikon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.  Mine is crystal clear.  It's even better than my $800 Nikon.

Even with the tint I'm impressed with its clarity.  I was able to resolve .30 caliber holes in paper (if they were in the white) at 100 yards.

Anyway, I've got a 6x42 POSP and BP-02 on order from Kalinka anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Dave,
 I have had mine for 6 months or so & have shot a few 100 rds through it with the scope- mostly 70s Polish & 80s Russian from 100 to 1000 yds..  This thing grows on you!  My scope holds its settings fine- on & off several times. Just remember that it is calibrated in meters (apx. yds + 10%).
I had it out yesterday getting sight settings for the irons out to 800 yds as there is an upcoming vintage bolt action/ semi-auto match with irons at Promatory, UT the first of May that I am going to attend (Finn M-39 for the bolt part).
 Normally my long range shooting (800-1500 yd matches) is with a .45-90 Sharps rifle (560 gr, boollet), but for a more practical major caliber- if ever needed (SHTF), I agree- these  are great- actually liking it better than my M1A.  
 I know that you mentioned going to the CL scope (makes sense for a lefty), but I find that if I just zero the scope so that it is parallel to the bore (apx. 1-1/4" left of center on the tgt.), that you do not have to fool with the windage knob except for WIND..  Good luck with yours & make sure that you clean the inside of the gas tube.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The clarity of the LPS TIP2 scopes should not surprise us.    I believe it has been posted that these were made in the Romanian optics plant.......known  as IOR, back in the 70's......Valada is also another name they are known by now.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top