Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:49:03 PM EDT
My bothers wife just bought him a new Romy wasr10 and he had a few questions about it and I didn't for sure know the answers, so I ask you all knowing AK experts.
1. She bought it at a local gun shop that ordered it for her. Does he still need to check the 922r compliance?
2. What is the bracket on the left side of the reciever?
3.  Why does the tin oil can have 2 caps?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
1)Chances are since it was a complete rifle bought from a (hopefully) reputable shop, it would have to be compliant. The only manufacturer I know of that sells WASRs is Century. Mine came compliant with TAPCO parts (trigger gas, piston, pistol grip, and a few other parts that I can't remmebr right now)
2)Bracket is a scope mount.
3) Suppossedly it has two caps because it has two chambers-one for oil, one for grease. IIRC.
Tell him to check for sight cant and have fun shooting!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a decent shop, and I think he is Ok on the legal tip.
I knew that was a scope mount! My chinese has no such animal.
He said the bottle has two caps.  I pictured it having one hole and two caps.  guess I should ask if they both screwed on the bottle at the same time! HAHA
Its late and he was so excited that his new wife bought him an AK. I was happy for him and excited also.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My bothers wife just bought him a new Romy wasr10 and he had a few questions about it and I didn't for sure know the answers, so I ask you all knowing AK experts.
1. She bought it at a local gun shop that ordered it for her. Does he still need to check the 922r compliance?
2. What is the bracket on the left side of the reciever?
3.  Why does the tin oil can have 2 caps?

Thanks

1. The rifle is compliant. The trigger, hammer, disconnector, gas piston and pistol grip are US made, if the rifle is new. In addition, the muzzle attachment is US made, unless it is tack welded on.
2. The bracket allows you to mount optics on the rifle.
3. The can has two compartments. It will hold cleaner and oil (NOT grease).

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been following these rifles online and saw that I could probably get my hands on one for $500 or just under.  Is that a good price for these rifles and are they worth it?  I've been reading alot about front sight cant and other issues.  Are people just being picky or do these rifles have some issues?  Are these made of all new parts or refurbished parts?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been following these rifles online and saw that I could probably get my hands on one for $500 or just under.  Is that a good price for these rifles and are they worth it?  I've been reading alot about front sight cant and other issues.  Are people just being picky or do these rifles have some issues?  Are these made of all new parts or refurbished parts?

Only you can decide if a rifle is worth the price to you. I would advise you to look over the rifle you intend to buy. AK "fit and finish" is not up to US commercial standards and was never intended to be.
Front sight bases are sometimes canted. If it is canted enough so that the rifle can't be zeroed, the cant can be fixed without much effort.
WASR10/63s are made by demilling existing rifles and rebuilding them on single stack receivers which are legal to import. Century then converts the receiver to accept standard AK magazines, replaces the fire control group, gas piston and pistol grip to comply with US law and tack welds the muzzle device on to avoid having to replace it, again to comply with the law.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#6]
So basically it's a somewhat new rifle, that is made legal with some US parts.  It's still the cheapest way to buy an AK though isn't it?  I used to own an AK and got rid of it for $$.  Hopeing to buy another one while we still can.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So basically it's a somewhat new rifle, that is made legal with some US parts.  It's still the cheapest way to buy an AK though isn't it?  I used to own an AK and got rid of it for $$.  Hopeing to buy another one while we still can.

Yep, WASRs are generally the least expensive option.  I enjoy mine for what it is.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
As your friend is a new Romanian rifle owner, point him to this site - it can help answer a ton of questions new folks have and is quite informative for AK owners in general:

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Currently the WASR is the least expensive AK. At this time there is no less expensive way to obtain an AK.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen a lot of these lately.  One thing I have noticed is they are shipping w/ tapco mag / mags, this is because without them they are not 922r compliant. (I think)  

The stock and hand guard are romanian, the barrel nut/ muzzle device  is tac welded on, the receiver is romy, the bolt and bolt carrier are imported.  They do have tapco g2 trigger groups, the hand grip is US made, the mags account for 3 US parts, and the gas piston is unknown (to me anyway, looks like the pin was removed, but only have 2 grooves?).

This is just my personal observation , I very well could be wrong,  these samples I have seen just seem borderline.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have seen a lot of these lately.  One thing I have noticed is they are shipping w/ tapco mag / mags, this is because without them they are not 922r compliant. (I think)  

The stock and hand guard are romanian, the barrel nut/ muzzle device  is tac welded on, the receiver is romy, the bolt and bolt carrier are imported.  They do have tapco g2 trigger groups, the hand grip is US made, the mags account for 3 US parts, and the gas piston is unknown (to me anyway, looks like the pin was removed, but only have 2 grooves?).

This is just my personal observation , I very well could be wrong,  these samples I have seen just seem borderline.

According to a recent post by a vendor Century ships the rifles with steel magazines. Somewhere along the distribution chain the steel magazines are replaced with TAPCO magazines.
The compliance parts are fcg (3), pistol grip (1) and gas piston (1). Since the foreign made muzzle device is welded on it is part of the barrel. Therefore 5 US parts is enough to comply with federal law. Any one with a magnet can confirm that the gas piston is US made. Century uses a non-magnetic stainless steel piston. Romania uses a chrome plated steel piston.
There is nothing "borderline" about the compliance.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to a recent post by a vendor Century ships the rifles with steel magazines. Somewhere along the distribution chain the steel magazines are replaced with TAPCO magazines.
The compliance parts are fcg (3), pistol grip (1) and gas piston (1). Since the foreign made muzzle device is welded on it is part of the barrel. Therefore 5 US parts is enough to comply with federal law. Any one with a magnet can confirm that the gas piston is US made. Century uses a non-magnetic stainless steel piston. Romania uses a chrome plated steel piston.
There is nothing "borderline" about the compliance.

Ah, i see, Thanks for the correction.  The tapco mags were throwing me off, and I was looking for reasons for them being present.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top