Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/19/2008 4:11:49 AM EDT
picked up a new in the box GP Wasr 10 / 63 at the Las Vegas gun show by trading in another gun of equal value. The sticker was listed at $499, it came with 2 high cap mags, ammo pouch, oil tin, cleaning kit, sling, but no bayonet :(

The sights nor gas tube don't seem to be canted, or if they are its to hard for my young eyes to tell. I bought 60 rounds of WOLF hp mc and took the gun home and started researching.

The barrel came with a muzzle nut welded on, I have since learned that if u file that weld spot off there might be threads under there.

There seems to be a little mag wobble. More so with 1 mag than the other. The stock is about the same finish as other wasr i see on here.  The  trunnion has no markings on it, and looks like markings were filed/sanded off.

I cleaned the gun because I noticed a lot of metal shavings prob from when the receiver was milled out.

Yesterday I decided to go out into the desert to see how accurate she is. First problem I noticed I could only fit 20 rounds in each mag until the mag malfunctioned. If I tried to add any more the spring/plate would get suck and then all the rounds would fall out loose and I would have to bang the side of the mag to get spring to pop back up.

I disassembled one mag and the spring was covered in rust covered slime. I plan to soak the mag in mineral spirits, then perhaps oil with motor oil or wd40, then see if it will take the full 30 rounds. Anyone else with this problem have any solutions?

Thankfully this was my last problem with the gun. I loaded 20 rounds in 1 mag and test fired her at paper target from 73 yards away. First shot went a bit right, I'm guessing it was be being nerves and jerky trigger pull. Second shot bullseye.

I then headed out to a distance of 200 yards, I adjusted back sites accordingly. I fired off 4 rounds and then went just shy of 300 yards. At 300 yards I fired off remaining rounds and went back to check accuracy.

Unbelievable, I hit the paper target 20 out of 20. Some of the shots hit up and to the right, which I'm guessing was cause of me having sites set at 300 but really being at 280, and they were out to the right.

All in all I was just as accurate with wasr at 100-200-300 yards as my AR. Any man/animal sized target would be in a world of trouble at these distances.

The gun is obviously more accurate than I am with open sights. I'm guessing shots went right cause of my trigger pull.

IM thinking of buying a scope/side rail mount. I want something cheap yet very reliable/survival type situation which I can unmount if I wish. I would like to be able to test the gun at 400-500 yards with a scope. Anyone else have good results at this range?

I plan now to fix mags, and refinish wood before I shoot again. Anyone know where to buy that RIT red dye stuff?

Thanks for reading, here's some pics below.

-Proud new wasr 10 63 owner

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7601/ak001smmd4.th.jpghttp://img201.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice WASR....my first AK was also a WASR 10/63....they can be pretty accurate can't they?  Even so, that is some damn fine shooting on your part though.....it does take someone who knows at least a bit about shooting to get 20/20 hits at 280 yards with an AK...and a WASR at that, the so-called "shittiest most inaccurate" AK....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I disassembled one mag and the spring was covered in rust covered slime. I plan to soak the mag in mineral spirits, then perhaps oil with motor oil or wd40, then see if it will take the full 30 rounds. Anyone else with this problem have any solutions?

The magazines are probably covered in preservative and may not be rusted. Mineral spirits and elbow grease will remove the preservative. Try that before you use WD 40.

ETA: If you still have the problem after cleaning throughly, try swapping the followers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I've been shooting since I was 7 years old. First .22 then bb gun every day, then pellet guns, rifles, hand guns, shotguns ect. While other kids were playing basketball I was out in the desert firing my pellet guns :)

I learned how to control my breathing and shoot from an early age. Also I spent a lot of time shooting my 336 lever action 30-30 which Has similar ballistics and power of the 7.62, and with more recoil since brass stays in the gun. My biggest flaw is probably my trigger pull. I also have 20 20 vision so that helps also.

I'm going to soak the mags In Mineral Spirits.   Should I oil them with anything after?

thankss

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I had some mags that were coated on the inside with that rusty looking stuff. I just ran a rag through them and cleaned the spring. You really don't want to heavily oil your mags if you keep them loaded for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Rusty stuff are clots of Cosmoline. Disasemble the mags and the rifle and clean ALL of the cosmo out of it.Ive found it under the handguards too. Lube the rifle with CLP and you are good to go
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice ak and even better shooting. We ak guys love to see the range reports that blow the theory of the "AK isn't accurtate".... As one guy posted on another thread- good thing the bad guys can't shoot the ak like our forum members here.... Good shooting though and good post.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  Cleaning the mags did nothing to stop the follower from jamming inside the magwell at around the 20th round. I tried shaving/trimming a bit of it i thought was sticking on one of the followers but still no go.

I then widened the mag well using a crow bar. This worked great on one of that mags, and I can fit a full 30 rounds in it.

The other mag is still having problems, so I will need to continue to tinker with it. It is jamming up and getting stuck around the 24th round.

I'm thinking about buying the AK-47 "UTG Side Mount with Double Rails Imported 3rd Generation Mount" from http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS006-1.html and perhaps adding a scope.

Everyone seems to love that mount and it fits my wallet.

The downside is you can't use your iron sights anymore, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with a good scope / reddot / or other option ect that is both easy to look through as well as take shots at 300-500 yard range.

I would like to keep my iron sights and wood furniture, while not breaking my wallet, but this looks like it's becoming impossible.

ANy other ides which will help me shoot at longer distances?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]
one of my mags would get stuck after about 14 bullets,turns out there was a slight indention in the side of the mag(practically unnoticeable).i used a long screw driver and pryed up on it slightly,now all is well.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top