Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/20/2008 3:40:45 PM EDT
Anybody have a SAR3, how dependable would you rate it ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Dependability really rest on how well the Century assembly of 922r parts holds up. Some hammers turned into butter in less than five hundred rounds and others just snapped in half.

The main issues with the SAR was the short stem bolt they used that was only unique to the SAR-3 and the hammer that had the face modified to over travel and hit the bolt head square. No spare bolts unless you find a trashed complete rifle to rape. A AK-74 bolt can be modified but takes some machine work.

I had a SAR-3 back in 2000 and shot maybe 3K rounds. Eventually sold it as other better .223 AK rifles came to market.

Quality really varied from rifle to rifle and you have to make a judgment call on a case by case basis as to what the dependability would be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have yet to have a problem with mine, but since I have gotten a case of the BRD I have not shot it in a year or so.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If the bolt is good, Red Star Arms has a FCG for the SAR-3 that solves the hammer problem. No first hand experience, but I have read that only Wieger mags work reliablely with the SAR-3.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Rule number one:  You MUST use Weiger mags ! ! ! !

Rule number two:  Install a Red Star hammer.

Rule number three:  Enjoy ! ! !

I've owned a SAR-3 for several years.  ALWAYS use Weiger mags.  Several THOUSAND trouble free rounds so far . . . .  

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top