Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2006 3:09:57 PM EDT
hi there...anyone know a easy way to get the reddish "knots" out of a wood stock, some of it is easy to sand away..other parts of the outer circle of the reddish "knots" stay shiney etc...whats a quick way to get rid of it...also its  a natural wood finish, was staind, i oven cleanered it, and sanded it, i want it to be a low luster natural wood color...whats the best way to do this?
its mak 90 7.62x39
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#1]
what make of stock is it? I haven't seen any knots in chicom stocks. I have used  alot of different finishing methods. for one of my MAK90's I wanted the yellowish orange (original look) so I stripped and sanded then used amber shellac. this starts as a yellowish on the first coat and darkens with each additional coat(you control the color) my other MAK90 has poltech furniture and was re finished using tung oil. this will be a little darker than natural but looks great. the more coats, the shinier(you control this)  after the coats of either have completely dried, I use 0000 steel wool to smooth then coat with minwax finishing paste. don't rush your finish,take your time and it will come out nice. also your question on the redish knots...they give it natural character .
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
its a russian set up that i sucked the oil and stain out of and sanded it down.
....not a bad job... i even cut the pistol grip of the front and it came out good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds like a Romanian laminated set. the laminated wood will have that reddish color between layers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
sorry, i ment romanian, yes its laminated, but its like red knots in it, some sanded away other parts look shiney....
not bad though... i will try and get a pic up
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top