Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 9:43:07 PM EDT
Ran across this add on gunbroker.  Never heard of one, so wanted to get your thoughts on this rifle.  Thanks.

Link
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
As you might guess, it is an ordinary .223 semi-automatic AKM adorned with aftermarket parts to make it look cool. The Chinese never sold 16" barreled rifles with a skeletonized druganov style stock and they certainly didn't offer Krinkov style muzzle brakes. The lower handguard may be from an RPK or it may be some sort of home-whittled mutant specimen. I certainly wouldn't pay $1300 for it. Nor would I pay the going price for an ordinary .223 ChiCom AK, as it has been altered and the factory components are (apparently) not for sale with the rifle.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Galland.  I'm trying to get up to speed on the Chinese AKs.  I had never seen anything like it, so figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
That picture looks photo chopped look at the back of the receiver where it joins the stock.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, first off, all real RPK rifles have milled recievers- a stamped reciever isn't strong enough to hold a long, heavyweight barrel with bipod securely- thus there is no "RPK-M" or "RPK-S".

Second off, real RPK weapons do not have 16" barrels... that barrel is too thin and short to be a true RPK barrel, and lacks a real bipod (see #3 below).

Third, you can see the two stainless steel screws on the bipod mount where it is tightened to fit the barrel. These bi-pods are DEFINATELY not Chinese and not original to the rifle. A clamp goes around the barrel and then the two screws are tightened to hold it in place. Fake, and messes with the barrel harmonics.

Fourth- the saddest of all- that is a stamped reciever, not even a milled reciever, so not only is the term "RPK" incorrect, but so is the "m"!

EDIT: Yes, you can build an RPK on a stamped reciever, as some companies do with parts kits. However, no military uses/used stamped recievers for their RPK rifles, and most US legal RPK rifles are built on VEPR or Bulgerian milled recievers, not stamped (see link below for example).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42739786
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
First off RPK's have stamped receivers.

world.guns.ru/machine/mg15-e.htm

Second off that is not a Dragonov stock but a PKM stock.

world.guns.ru/machine/mg07-e.htm

Third off the bipod is a commerical Chinese model and you can see a pic of one item #RI-ACC-ABU

www.tickbitesupply.com/sks.html

Fourth off the muzzle brake is a US made copy of the Krinkov muzzle brake item #A-573.

www.globaltrades.com/ak_muzzl_1.html

So the rifle is a Chinese 5.56x45mm rifle that has surplus and aftermarket parts added to it. It also has a fake model name as the Chinese never made a RPK-M.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Well, first off, all real RPK rifles have milled recievers- a stamped reciever isn't strong enough to hold a long, heavyweight barrel with bipod securely- thus there is no "RPK-M" or "RPK-S"....

....Fourth- the saddest of all- that is a stamped reciever, not even a milled reciever, so not only is the term "RPK" incorrect, but so is the "m"!....

....EDIT: Yes, you can build an RPK on a stamped reciever, as some companies do with parts kits. However, no military uses/used stamped recievers for their RPK rifles, and most US legal RPK rifles are built on VEPR or Bulgerian milled recievers, not stamped (see link below for example).

Oh man.

Other than Finland (which I believe used a milled receiver on their RPK derivatives), all countries using the RPK have built them on stamped receivers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]
For starters, Russia, Finland, and Bulgeria made RPK weapons with milled recievers.

Second off, the bi-pod may be Chinese commercial, but what I meant is that it is DEFINATELY not Chinese military or an original add on. You can buy those bi-pods from The Sportsmans Guide now, whatever country they are made in it is definately not original.

The buttstock does look chopped... another reason why that gun has been on GunBroker submitted over and over again for the past year or so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Accidental double post.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top