Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:12:01 PM EDT
A question for someone who knows more about Mak's than I do...I own a Mak 90 with a threaded barrel. After doing some research, I found out that this gun was caught up in the "In between" phases of the AK/MAK90 conversion in 1990- or caught up in customs when the ban took affect.  Are these guns worth more than standard MAK's because of the threaded barrel? and if so...how much would a gun like this be worth? The side of the reciever has had the name of the original model "lined out" and MAK 90 ingraved in. Also, is it OK to install a Chinese slant brake?

Thanks for your help in advance, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A question for someone who knows more about Mak's than I do...I own a Mak 90 with a threaded barrel. After doing some research, I found out that this gun was caught up in the "In between" phases of the AK/MAK90 conversion in 1990- or caught up in customs when the ban took affect.  Are these guns worth more than standard MAK's because of the threaded barrel? and if so...how much would a gun like this be worth? The side of the reciever has had the name of the original model "lined out" and MAK 90 ingraved in. Also, is it OK to install a Chinese slant brake?

Thanks for your help in advance, I really appreciate it.

You'll still be required to reduce the number of "countable" imported parts to 10 or less. If you intend to put a removable slant brake (in other words, you wont be welding/pinning it in place), you're better off using a U.S. made slant brake so that it doesn't count against your imported parts.

They're more desirable, but not necessarily worth more monitarily.

Can you tell what the original markings were?

Who was the importer?

Is there a serial number prefix?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a NHM-90 that went through the same thing,has the 84S stamped over. I wonder how i can get that barrel extension off?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#3]
My friend has a MAK-91 with the threaded barrel as well.  Before the serial numbers it looks like there is a "92"  is that the date of manufacture?  what year makes these pre-ban?

thanks in advance.

PS: he wants to put  a pistol grip and different stock set on it. will it have to comply with the parts count?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My friend has a MAK-91 with the threaded barrel as well.  Before the serial numbers it looks like there is a "92"  is that the date of manufacture?  what year makes these pre-ban?

thanks in advance.

PS: he wants to put  a pistol grip and different stock set on it. will it have to comply with the parts count?

Any post-1989 will have to comply with the parts count rule. If it has a thumbhole stock, then it came in during or after 1989.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the info.  

I should of told my friend that his MAK is a piece of crap and that trading it for my WASR would be a better deal
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the  late response...here's the info I have regarding my MAK-90

The Importer was KSI- Pamona CA.
6181XX is the Serial Number
I can't make out the original markings....lines are drawn through them

I have some  pictures....not sure how to post though

Any help?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Hacknsack,

I don't have any input but I am interested to know a value also as I have one in 5.56 also imported by KSI with a threaded barrel. The serial number is very low 000X

any help would be great
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same questions
Mine Has a threaded barrel, regular s/n markings(not lined thru). s/n 701001. Does have a thumb hole stock. Is not marked Sporter anywhere.

norinco
made in china
ksi pomona ca

No other stamps or markings visiable on the receiver. Nothing lined thru.

I have always wondered about this gun as if it was one of the slip thru/on the dock guns.
Thanks

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top