Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:29:43 AM EDT
Looks like the Chinese AK Forum needs some extra traffic so, here's a snip from my post in the General AK discussions-

Jeepcreep, I checked all through your web page tacked to the top here and can't find anything on this weapon or the importer...  

I'm guessing ProChine

Picked up at Fun Show on Sunday... Chinese AK-47. Nice wood stocks, "dirty blond". Fixed stock... Folding spike bayonet. 45* gas block, horizontal holes in gas tube. Chrome chamber, bolt & carrier. (Not sure about bore) Slant brake, single position set for RH firing. Plunger works, brake seems "frozen". Safety/selector closes "over" the receiver cover.

Marked on left hand side above trigger:

"IMPORTER FTC
WOODLAND HILLS CA
"

Marked on left hand side on front of receiver:

"AK47S 7.62X39mm
MADE IN CHINA
"

SN (On trunion):

02XX

Nothing stamped or marked on RH side except for fire control positions.("S" "F")

Condition "minty"; Invested $635-700. Depending on what I could have sold some of my stuff for; the price varies. He was asking $650 cash. I traded into it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  [ETA]Do you think the receiver was heat treated? TIA.

Sly

ETA: I tried a Google Search which turned up nothing of importance.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most of those imorters were American front companies for the PLA. Is there anyway you can post a pic of the markings?  $650 is about fair....not a rip off either way.  I have copies of the 84-89 SOF magazines, I will see if that importer appears anywhere. I have never heard of it.

Sorry Jeep, no joy on the pics. (No digi camera + no digital comprehension skills)

The markings are stamped where it says the model and "made in China" The Importer's marks are cleanly stenciled. Sort of like the Romanian SARs but it seems done by a machine, not hand- it looks very nice.

$650.  I figured even if I could wait for a domestic outfit to come out with sinister anatomically correct stamped AKs- The folding spike bayonet would definately be an up charge.

Once again I'm assuming hoping the receiver was heat treated but don't know much in that area either... Anyway to tell by inspection? (IIRC- only some B-West AKs omitted the heat treating)

Thanks Jeepcreep.

ETA:  I'll be visiting my Uncle within a few weeks, he has a digi camera.  If we can come up with some information on it & his camera is available I'll try to email you some pics. In the mean time it's a pretty wicked novelty!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I just recieved my Norinco to day and their is no marking om the right side either except for S F. it also has a folding spike bayo on it.

the lesft side is marked

7.62x39MM
MADE IN CHINA

it looks stamped and is really sloppy.

bottom of reciever is marked

IMPORTED BY:

ARMCO
BOYLSTON. MA.

these markings were stenciled and again it is very sloppy.

the bolt assembly and bolt carrier have matching number and the last 3 digit S/N# is xxxx025

just wonder if any of you guys would have any info on this like why there is no factory markings like 386 or somthing on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
michagander,

On Jeepcreeps website, on the "importers" page he does have ARMCO listed.  Here's a link.

Jeepcreep's Handy Dandy Chinese AK Webpage.

Although he has the ARMCO listed as an importer, you'll probably want to go from his home page to the Norinco details to see if any light can be shed on your new toy.

Take care.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks I-M-A_WMD, but I already read through it and didi not find any info as to why there would be no markings. now that I think about it this was sold to me as a NORINCO, but it is beyond me how he came to that conclusion. it does not say NORINCO or POLYTECH anywhere on it plus the lack of marking is probably going to make it impossible to tell. weird huh...

is their some kind of difference between a poly or norinco besides markings. this so called Norinco I got looks excatly like all 3 of my ploy's. I thought I read somewhere that Norinco barrels are smooth meaning there is no thread like rings all the way down the barrel. is this true?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks I-M-A_WMD, but I already read through it and didi not find any info as to why there would be no markings. now that I think about it this was sold to me as a NORINCO, but it is beyond me how he came to that conclusion. it does not say NORINCO or POLYTECH anywhere on it plus the lack of marking is probably going to make it impossible to tell. weird huh...

is their some kind of difference between a poly or norinco besides markings. this so called Norinco I got looks excatly like all 3 of my ploy's. I thought I read somewhere that Norinco barrels are smooth meaning there is no thread like rings all the way down the barrel. is this true?

AFAIK, since Norinco & Polytech are both just the public face of the factories which produced the weapons for the Red Army- Norinco/Poly are basically the same thing. It's kind of like AR15s.  You have Bushmaster and Colt, RRA & Oly.  They probably all do something a little different but they also probably share common contractors.  The only difference with Chicom AKs is that all the different "vendors" are owned and operated by the Chines Government.  So whether it says "Norinco" or "Polytech" they're basically the same... As my brother would say, "They're exactly the same, only different".  (Hopefully my interpretation is close to reality...)

Further- I think both Norinco & Polytech barrels show the machine marks.  Neither are polished smooth.... I'm thinking I'll need to look at my 56S Norinco- it has a beautiful finish on it and now I'm stumped as to how finsished out the barrel tool marks are.  (Left the Norinco at home, have the new "mystery AK" in the truck.)

Later.

Sly

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Checked it again last night and edited a post above-

The markings w/ the model.cal & "Made in China" are stamped.  The importer's marks are cleanly stenciled.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info I-M-A-WMD. I pretty much assumed that Poly and Norinco were the same since they are both chicom's. I guess what I want to know if it is a Poly or Norinco. who know's maybe I'll never know it will be my mystery rifle.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Poly Tech and Norinco are companies set up by the Chinese govt. to export goods made in China. Neither company ever made anything just exported it. The Chinese govt. owns all factories in China and the Peoples Liberation Army runs the factories that make firearms and ammo.  
When talking about AK rifles Poly Tech and Norinco are more like brand names than anything else.
Kinda like the way Marlin made model 336C lever action 30-30 rifles for Sears and Western Auto. Marlin didn't put their name on the rifles but marked them as Sears model 45 and Western Auto model 103.450. So looking at one of these rifles you would assume that they were made by Sears and Western Auto. Just like you would with a Poly Tech or Norinco rifle.
There were about 2 dozen importers of pre ban Chinese rifles. Some imported a dozen,some a couple hundred, and some imported tens of thousands. About half the importers went out of business right after the 1989 ban so the only info on them is their books/records they were required by law to send to the BATF when they went out of business.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hey michigander,  I checked the barrel on my 56S Norinco Sile Import- FWIW... The barrel is smooth!  The intrigue thickens.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey michigander,  I checked the barrel on my 56S Norinco Sile Import- FWIW... The barrel is smooth!  The intrigue thickens.

Sly

Remember......There are over 157 companies that built component parts for some reported 19 assembly factories!

Now you're just trying to confuse me!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I have noticed over the years that all the Chinese rifles imported in 1993 and 1994 I have seen have tool marks on the barrels. Of my 9 Chinese AK rifles all have smooth barrels except the ones imported in 1993.  
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top