Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 2:18:15 PM EDT
Hello,
I have an opportunity to buy a mak 90 in good condition.  It has the thumbhole stock, but no flashhider/compensator/bayo lug ETC.  Let me mention I also know very little about Ak's.  Is it legal to change the stock to a pistol grip/stock combination so I can have the more classical ak-47 look?

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times.

Thanks
Fidel

Edited to also ask Is there any modification of the rifle needed to chane from the "bush-hole" stock to the pistol grip/stock type?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Just add the 5 US made parts and you are good to go with the pistol grip.  Here is one I did a few months ago....

One word of caution, Make sure your receiver is not a slant cut rear.  They did this on the later ones to better fit the thumbhole stock.  If it is cut at a slant and you have your heart set on converting one, pass on it and find a straight cut.  Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply,
I was wondering if you have the list of the parts that need to be replaced?

Thanks,
Fidel
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
i love my mak90 , totally reliable and tears up tin cans at 40 yards no problem. definatly get it. also i just saw an adapter that allows the use of ANY ar15 butstock to ak receivers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply,
I was wondering if you have the list of the parts that need to be replaced?

Thanks,
Fidel

In regard to an AK the following parts short of a new receiver are applicable:

Buttstock (1 part)
Pistol grip (1 part)
Upper and lower forend (1 part)
Magazine follower (1 part)
Magazine floorplate (1 part)

Those are probably by far the easiest parts to swap for 922r compliance. The following are also applicable to the AK:

Hammer
Trigger
Disconnector
Gas piston
(each of the above counts as 1 part)

While the Chinese AK's utilize a double hook trigger, a single hook unit will work. RSA's (adjustable single hook) FCG is considered the best available (check General AK Discussion for a great deal). Double hook U.S. triggers are available from Gordon Technologies and Global Trades.

Keep in mind that if you go with the U.S. followers and floorplates that they need to be installed in every mag you use to be 100% legal. (that means no drum mags if that is of concern)
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info,
I think I will do some more research to see what I really want.

Fidel
Out
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at the choate stocks also...if you like black....
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just add the 5 US made parts and you are good to go with the pistol grip.  Here is one I did a few months ago....

www.autoglassparts.com/makweb.jpg

Rich, Is that Ironwood Designs?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Rick, I remember when you posted this one if it's the "line-out" MAK.

Exactly what kind of sling is that? Guess it could be a Ruskie with SKS leather tab but when comparing the leather tab at the gas block and the leather keeper at the buttstock it kinda appears to be a customized Chicom sling?

Just curious...(very nicely done by the way!)
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rich, Is that Ironwood Designs?

Nope, it is original Chinese wood.  Polytech parts still has the stocks but I think they are out of the PG's.  I just love the way the chink wood looks, nothing else looks right to me on a chinese gun.  The stock is a little short for me (I am 6'3", 260) but it doesn't feel too bad.  Fits my 11 year old perfectly.

My us parts include RSA trigger, plate/followers and piston.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rick, I remember when you posted this one if it's the "line-out" MAK.

Exactly what kind of sling is that? Guess it could be a Ruskie with SKS leather tab but when comparing the leather tab at the gas block and the leather keeper at the buttstock it kinda appears to be a customized Chicom sling?

Just curious...(very nicely done by the way!)

It's the original chinese sling that was in the box.  It was so stiff and dried out when I got it.  It took a long time to straighten/flatten it out.  The leather loop is off an extra bulgy sling I had.

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top