Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/10/2002 9:34:21 PM EDT
I've always wondered what the difference between these two companies.  Aren't all Chi-com AKs made in the same government factories?

Of the pre-bans....which company had the better quality AK.

Thanks.
Aggie
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
RotDorn's got it.  I'd only add that Polytech made all the military rifles for export too (full-auto) and back when George Bush Sr decided that we couldn't get rifles with military features anymore (1989) the manufacturing was taken over by NORINCO which oversaw all the US exports and contracted for the manufacturing.  I think NORINCO had a slightly more PC reputation as they export many commodities, not just arms, so US customs felt better about allowing in rifles with the NORINCO paperwork.  Of course all that went to hell when NORINCO tried to smuggle several hundred full-auto AKM (type-56) rifles into San Francisco harbor in 1993.  Clinton was really pissed and revoked all arms import permits from China, but that was later modified to allow some types of arms like those strange shotguns we get now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info gentlemen.
Sounds like they are all great AKs!
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not completely sure about this so someone correct me if im wrong.  Polytech made one model commonly referred to as the "legend" ak47/s which is an exact replica of the original russian ak47 with milled receiver. The rest(including all norinco's) are stamped receivers and clones of the chinese type 56 rifle. I have owned many ak and all shoot but the milled legends generally bring a premium over the stamped receivers or at least in my area they do.

I currently own 1 Polytech Legend AK47/s Completely New in the box and unfired with all original accessories(safe Queen) and 1 Polytech sidefolder its a stamped receiver rate it about 95% but its a shooter and also my favorite ak that ive ever owned/shot. That sidefolder is rock solid and makes for a good cheekweld and also will fit in my backpack for those canoe trips down the river.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
All Chicom weapons are made by Norinco. Everything from Makarov pistols to Long March ICBMs. Polytech is the name of an export company owned by the Peoples Liberation Army.

Polytech AKs as imported into the USA by Kengs were rifles that had extra attention paid to fit, finish and detail.

Other than that and about 150 minor variations in fittings over the years, they are pretty much the same.

A Polytech is considered the best of the Chicom rifles and their market values reflect that.

RotDorns statement that the pigsticker bayonet is the tip-off that a rifle is a Polytech is only partially correct. There are many thousands of Chicom AK rifles with folding pigstickers that do NOT have "Polytech" on them anywhere. They are rifles that may have come from what later became the "Polytech" factory. They may also have come from two other factories. There are literally hundreds of importers that brought in Chicom AKs, way before there was a "Polytech" or Kengs.

Mike
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top