Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/24/2020 2:06:32 PM EDT
Have a straight cut/stamped Mak 90 that I purchased an IWD furniture set for.

The work from Matt @ IWD is nothing short of beautiful.  Fitment was perfect out of the box and required zero sanding or finish work.

When he mailed out my package, it was recommended that I pick up a grip screw from a Desert Foxr, which is said to measure 4 1/8".  When trying to install, I noticed that this screw is still too short and barely will engage one thread on the nut.

I see a lot of screws listed with various vendors, but few of them list the length.  For example, K-Var lists both a 4" and 4.5" screw.  The latter is supposed to be for "thumbhole" stocks, but the Mak-90 thumbhole stock used a screw is about 3 13/16" long.

RTG also sells a screw that's said to be 4 5/16". but is presently out of stock.

Has anyone here been in the same boat and have a suggestion?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Every grip screw I've ever used for an AK has been different, I am unsurprised.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have a straight cut/stamped Mak 90 that I purchased an IWD furniture set for.

The work from Matt @ IWD is nothing short of beautiful.  Fitment was perfect out of the box and required zero sanding or finish work.

When he mailed out my package, it was recommended that I pick up a grip screw from a Desert Foxr, which is said to measure 4 1/8".  When trying to install, I noticed that this screw is still too short and barely will engage one thread on the nut.

I see a lot of screws listed with various vendors, but few of them list the length.  For example, K-Var lists both a 4" and 4.5" screw.  The latter is supposed to be for "thumbhole" stocks, but the Mak-90 thumbhole stock used a screw is about 3 13/16" long.

RTG also sells a screw that's said to be 4 5/16". but is presently out of stock.

Has anyone here been in the same boat and have a suggestion?
View Quote

pulled the screw on my MAC 90 , overall length is 4 7/16
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I expected as much.  This wouldn't be as big of a deal if the screw were something you could get OTS at Fastenal or McMaster.  At first, I figured vendors were charging $5 for a $0.50 screw.  Then I noticed how much smaller the head is on the AK screws.

Quoted:

pulled the screw on my MAC 90 , overall length is 4 7/16

Thanks a ton.  K-Var has a 4.5" screw and their nut appears to be "taller" than what I have now.  Between the two, I should have enough there to engage a decent amount of threads.  Worst case, I can cut the screw down.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top