Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2020 3:13:29 PM EDT
Just picked up a new MAK90 from a friend. He had it in the back off the safe. From when he got it in 1993. Norinco squired back. New and unfired. Plus a box off 7.62x39. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The MAK 90s were some of the best AKs imported imho. The factory trigger has a good rep, but if you want something better, look into the Geissele AKT. If you want to put a folder on it for minimal cost, look into the Magpul Zhukov. Quick and easy red dot mount can be had with the Ultimak railed gas tube.

Or you can put standard poly or wood furniture on it. Or you can leave it as it is. I just never could come to like the thumbhole stock.

Nice gun there OP, now start shooting it!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
So what did it set you back? Are there deals still all there on them? I love mind, and converted it to the stock, the thumb hole was just clunky.
Nice Grab!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I am in the process off doing the conversation. Got the die to tap the barrel. And have a nice set off wood furniture on order. I remember back in the early 1990 seeing them for way under. $200. Had a few but passed them on. This one cost a bit more but new and unfired ant going to happen again.
Hopefully take it out this weekend. My old ones back then worked great. Oh and no canted sights. Chrome lined barrel shines like the sun. Hate to shoot it. But hate not to also
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
No mention of square or angle cut back?

ETA: Nevermind, I see it now. “Squire” back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats, they sure aren't bringing in any more into the country.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought mine in 1990 for $229 plus tax.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
MAK90s are great guns. The finish may not be the best, but they are very well made, shoot well and are reliable.

I bought mine not long after they came out. It had been a display gun at a local shop that I went to quite frequently. I went in one morning when they opened to get some reloading supplies and, apparently, whoever put the MAK away the night before didn't wipe it down. It had quite a few spots of surface rust all over it. They made me a hell of a deal because they didn't want to deal with it (I bought it for $150.00) and I took it home. It cleaned right up with a little bronze wool and oil.

When the AWB was about to sunset, I bought some Romanian pistol grip forearm and upper forearm and sidefolder stock, along with a Tapco G2 trigger group, US made wood pistol grip and US gas piston. I stripped and bleached all of the wood to get it to a consistent color, then stained and finished with amber shellac for the classic look. I had to work till 6:00 PM the day the AWB sunsetted, but as soon as I got home, I took the MAK to the basement and got the furniture fitted and installed. Just to be clear, the furniture was modified to make it fit, I didn't do anything to the rifle itself. I LOVE it, but don't really shoot it much anymore. Altogether, I have 3000-4000 rds through it. Never a malf or anything and it is at least reasonably accurate.

A couple of pics. Please disregard the silver dog snap on the front of the sling. I just threw it on one day when going out shooting and have never replaced it. I don't even think about it till I take it out of the safe, then forget about it after because I don't really shoot it much anymore. All of my very limited range time anymore is dedicated to my actual carry guns.

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top