Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2019 11:14:56 PM EDT
And you didn't even know how much help you were LOL

Considering what my local gunshop thinks these are made of, I got a heck of deal from the guy sold it to me.

It already had MOE furniture and a tapco G2 trigger installed. I also got 3 Chinese magazines and 1240
rounds of Russian "hunting" ammo. And a cheap black weapons case that holds 5 mags on the outside.

Things I learned here and at the range.

It will not shoot 30 rounds with the stock folded to the right UNLESS the stock is extended.
It still rubs on the top of the folding stock and since I have LARGE hands, it is not overly comfortable to shoot that way.

My Mak is not a slant cut.

Tapco 6 dollar magazines are still available. Bought some.

Croatian Mags do need a little time with a file to fit. Bought some.  About 10 minutes on each one.
Will probably buy some more next month.

20 round Magpul mags are much better when the gunshop is closing and you get the last 3 for 30 bucks plus tax.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like Bubba has been having his way with your MAK. Used Romainian or Bulgarian mags are the way to go. Get rid of the side folding junk and go with AKM wood/plastic or M4 tube.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you really want a folding stock, see if you can find a Romanian sidefolder somewhere for a decent price. The cheek weld isn't the greatest, but they are rugged as hell and work fairly well. Because of the thicker metal on the ChiCom receiver, some filing has to be done on the fitting tabs on the folding mechanism, but it doesn't take long at all.

I have a MAK90 that I bought from a gun shop not long after they came out. It was covered with fine rust, as if someone handled it and they put it away without wiping it down. At the time, I was a good customer, so they sold me the MAK for $150 so they wouldn't have to clean it. It cleaned up well and I just lived with the thumbhole stock till the Assault Weapons Ban expired. I never did shoot it a lot, but it was always reliable and accurate.

Not long before the AWB expired, when I was sure it would, actually, expire and not be reintroduced, I ordered the necessary parts to de-ban it. US trigger group, US gas piston, US wood pistol grip. I also ordered a Romy sidefolder stock and "dong" forearm. I spent a week stripping, bleaching, staining and shellacing the wood parts so that they matched well. The day the AWB expired, I got home from work and stayed up WAY too long de-banning it and installing the Romy sidefolder and handguards. It turned out very well and I really like it. I still don't shoot it much, but it works VERY well and was my "travel gun" for a while because the sidefolder let it fit in some reasonably compact spaces in the car. The wood turned out very nice and the rifle looks fantastic. Above all, no permanent mods to the rifle and it can be returned to the original specs if needed, if I could find the original stock anyway.

Because we all like pics, here is one. It has a cheap nylon sling with a dog snap on the front because I don't shoot it much and haven't gotten around to putting a nicer one on it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Since I have the Tapco FCG and the stock set.
If I changed to the Romanian folder, I would still be 922r LEGAL? Correct?
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top