Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2019 8:21:57 PM EDT
As you all know, mags for this are quite a problem, many mags would fit with a bit of tweeking of the mag well.

Even my chi-com 30 rd mag does not fit very well.  I have the following mags:

5 round Chinese works great

unknowm 30 rd metal mag, will not fit at all.

Bukgarian circle 10 30s, can be made to fit but still 'sticky'

Bulgarian circle 10 20s, not close to fitting.

unknown orangish 30s, sold to me as 5.56, can be made to fit.

Has anyone here tried Galil mags?

The magpul AK74 mags fit great, but of course don't load correctly.

Has anyone else heard of possible eta for palmetto states 5.56 AK and mags?

Sorry about the trpos, a stroke a couple years ago destroyed my typing ability.

Advice?
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the worst part about 5.56 ak's. Nothing is standard so each county has its own proprietary mag. Hell when it comes to Chinese 5.56 ak's the mags are different when you look at PolyTech and Norinco made guns.

Best advice is to always mod the mags and not the gun. Once you mess with the receiver.or the trunnion that's it for the most part where as the mags can be tossed away and you get a new one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
"Best advice is to always mod the mags and not the gun. Once you mess with the receiver or the trunnion that's it for the most part where as the mags can be tossed away and you get a new one. "

Agreed. Factory 223 mags for Norinco rifles are $80+.
Work some Weigner 223 or Bulgarian if the followers are similar.
Some factory 223 mags are too wide - friend is going through this now. Told him file the mags - not the gun.
Often the front of the mags need work first.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I'll bet the Chinese mag I got is probably for a poly Tech, oh slow close but no cigar.

The only mod to the rifle I can se helping on the trigger guard mounting pad (for lack of proper term). it actually sticks out about or less than 1/10th of an inch, but enough to hit the spline of the magazine just before it will lock in.

I have heard Galil mags may work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Polytech mags have chrome followers and will not feed due to the design of the follower - Poly rifles are built different than Norinco and need a different follower geometry. If the mag has a dark follower with China on the floor plate - and is mostly straight compared to an AK mag - it is just poorly made.
Feel free to email me some pictures if you want. PM for email address.
Do not file the rifle.
Many  Chicom rifles need some sort of tweaking to Chicom drum magazines and stick magazines to fit. There was limited quality control towards the end of importation. Filing the mag catch is always a last resort.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Try the green Polish Beryl mags. They fit and feed in the MHM90 (my ban era Type 84).
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Circle 10 5.56 mags work in my Chinese AKs (one pre ban and one post ban). I cant remember if the black or translucent ones fit better. One of them fit smoother and easier. I did have another post ban that circle 10s did not fit, but I sold that one. I usually just use the norinco mags in them, but it is nice to know the bulgy mags can work if need be. Although the norinco mags do not work in my Bulgarian rifles...

James
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Invest in factory mags, everything except sucks in them. They are some of the best magazines ever made and will keep going up and up
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
On my bwk-92 pro mags will work with very minor mods to the rear locking tab on the mag.  Bought 2, one works fine the other works iffy, but at 10 bucks per mag it will get you through till you can get the correct chicom mags that are issue with these.  Even the correct mags sometimes need a little tuning to fit.  The mags had alot of difference in the width and thicness of the locking rear tab on the mags in my experiece.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top