Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/3/2018 1:57:07 PM EDT
I have a PolyTech AKS 762 that was converted to full auto.  It looks like the conversion was done correctly.

I read somewhere that the 'rate reducer' on AKMs was more of a safety feature, delaying the hammer by milliseconds to ensure the bolt was fully into battery.  Since mine is a Type 56 copy (I think), mine doesn't have a rate reducer.  It just relies on that auto sear that's on the bolt rail.

Is the 'rate reducer' really a safety device?  Is my gun less safe because I don't have it?

Thanks,
Matthew
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the so-called "rate reducer" served to delay the hammer a bit so the bolt has a bit more time to get all the way into battery (in the case of a bit of bolt-bounce or other factors).

Chinese AKs never had the reducer because the Sino-Soviet split happened before the Russians added the reducer. The Chinese had to reverse-engineer their own stamped AKs (which is why they have the odd rivet pattern and a smattering of other non-AKM features) and never added the reducer.

So is your gun less safe? Not really. The Chinese have made, sold, used, and exported millions of AK rifles without the reducer and I imagine if it were a problem they would have added one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My only concern would be (to them) that an occasionally out of battery detonation and death of a satellite state's soldier is a small price to pay rather than retro fitting their AKs.  :O   :)
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only concern would be (to them) that an occasionally out of battery detonation and death of a satellite state's soldier is a small price to pay rather than retro fitting their AKs.  :O   :)
View Quote
Most AKs you see around the world are exports from China, and the customers are usually governments. If their product was shoddy, they would have lost some pretty large contracts.

I would not worry about it. The Type 56 is an incredibly solid and robust rifle and the Chinese would have added the reducer if the rifle needed one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind the chinese used all the AK-47 parts rather than switch to the lighter AKM components. EVERYTHING is built a little heavier on the chinese AK. Thicker receiver, heavier profile on the barrel, topcover is thicker metal as well so no need for reinforcing ribs stamped into it, etc. What you have with a chinese AK is essentially a milled AK in a heavier than standard AKM receiver. I'm speculating, but perhaps the heavier components tend to tame bolt bounce without the need for a rate reducer/anti-bounce device to be installed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Just an update: So far no issues with thousands of rounds!
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just an update: So far no issues with thousands of rounds!
View Quote

@Fractal
Glad to hear your rifle's running smoothly!
Who did the conversion on your rifle?
And how about a pic of your Type 56...I'd love to see it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 1:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The tail on the carrier prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pin until the bolt is locked.  It's mechanically not possible for an OOB to happen due to the hammer being released too soon.
View Quote
This.

The Chinese stamped receivers also use 1.5mm walls (as opposed to 1mm for Soviet production) so that helps to reduce vibrations which in turn reduces the risk of bolt bounce.

It would simply fail to fire if the carrier bounced back too far.
Never heard of that being an issue with the Type 56 stamped AKs.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top