Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2011 11:06:40 AM EDT
I picked up a fixed stock Legend off Gunbroker, that some previous owner had defiled by doing the following:

- Replaced the factory furniture with an ATI Fiberforce stock set
- Removed the lower stock tang by drilling the rivets, to accomodate the Fiberforce stock
- Removed the rear sight and spring, replaced them with a rail
- Removed the muzzle nut, replaced with a 74-style muzzle brake, which was 14x1 LH threaded, and secured by a set screw
- Removed the cleaning rod

Someone also fired the rifle with corrosive ammo, it appears, and didn't clean it afterward , as the bolt carrier, from where the piston screws in, to where the part of the carrier that's visible in the ejection port when the carrier is forward begins, was covered in a carbon/surface rust coating.  There was also surface rust in the gas tube and gas block.  Thankfully, the chrome lining in the barrel and on the piston protected them.  Also, I guess luckily, the previous owner didn't maim the rifle in any other way.  All of the metal is in great shape.

I have the parts coming in today to restore it to its original appearance.  Since it was already a 'Franken-Legend' when I got it, I wasn't concerned about spending a lot to get authentic Chinese parts.  I just want to make it look like an AK-47 for a reasonable additional cost.

My first question is about the wood.  I'm getting a Bulgarian milled wood set, that is supposed to have the checkered PG and all the metal.  I'm planning to refinish the wood to make it look as close as I can to the dark color all of the fixed stock Legends I've seen have.  I'd appreciate any recommendations on how best to approximate this color.

My other question is about installing the new lower tang.  I have to remove the rest of the existing rivets, then drill the part of the tang that goes inside of the receiver.  This should be pretty straightforward, but I don't have a press to crush the new rivets that come with the new tang.  If anyone has any suggestions for a low-tech, low cost solution, I'd appreciate it.

For reference, here's what the rifle looked like when I got it:

http://home.comcast.net/~msu89dawgs/legend.jpg  

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Make it a BFPU...

Good luck with your rebuild.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait a second... Somebody took a PolyTech Legend, and basically built a MAK90 out of it?

Glad you are returning it to it's proper form.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure this wasn't a post ban Mak that somebody put plastic furniture on?  And the muzzle brake with a set screw makes me wonder as well, are the pin and spring to retain the muzzle device there?

And, you say the lower tang is missing?  Is the receiver straight or slant cut?
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
i remember seeing that one what a shame . i would restore it . find some furniture for it and some parts and send it off to peice of history firearms
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Wel, is good to know you are doing your part to restore that beauty to it's rightful condition.

Please keep us posted.

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Who in Gods name did that and where do they live. Ss number would be a plus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
What did you pay for it?

Are you sure it isn't a milled Mak-90?
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, I cannot believe someone would ruin a Legend like that! You must send it the Gunplumber at ARS for proper restoration.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I would use it as a base for a milled type 56 underfolding spike bayo clone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Turbothis over at theakforum.net can reweld tangs onto the receiver.

Then if I were you I'd cobble together the parts and send them to ARS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My first question is about the wood.  I'm getting a Bulgarian milled wood set, that is supposed to have the checkered PG and all the metal.  I'm planning to refinish the wood to make it look as close as I can to the dark color all of the fixed stock Legends I've seen have.  I'd appreciate any recommendations on how best to approximate this color.

I like the look of the original Bulgarian used furniture.  I just got a set myself last week.  It would better represent the wood on an original miltary Type 56, but if you really want to duplicate the look of the commercial wood on the Legend, use Minwax Polyshades "Bombay Mahogany Satin."

The first coat will be light, but additional coats will make it dark and lustrous like the Legend wood.  On the Legends I've owned, they had only finished the exterior surfaces at the factory; the inside of the handguards were bare wood.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wow, I cannot believe someone would ruin a Legend like that! You must send it the Gunplumber at ARS for proper restoration.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/insider/HAPPYNEWYEAR017.jpg

I like Gunplumbers work.

There's a link for you guys who don't know about him.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top