Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/26/2008 8:52:09 AM EDT
MAK with new Ironwood walnut set. http://www.fototime.com/2DC89A37AF0E83D/standard.jpg
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Reeeallly nice!Is that the angled cut reciever? I've got one an always wondered what that stock looked like.Excellent!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice. Where did you get the butplate?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks nice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
looks great, been thinking about the walnut set myself.how did you finish?
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Where did you get that set?
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet looking rifle. That set is super nice, I would love to have one of those.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1.  Please e-mail me the source.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Adding another person interested in a source for a butt plate.  I really don't want to add a recoil pad, but I can not locate a butt plate.

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Please e-mail me the source.

Or post it here.  I need one as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
she's a beaut! Ironwood makes quality furniture. I'd like to know how you did the finish. I wish they sold finished sets. You did a real nice job, looks great!
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry about the delay getting back to the forum.

Got the buttplate from K-VAR, it fits snugly and looks great. If you just need the buttplate itself I think they sell it alone. Just use "buttplate" in their website search and it should come back in the results.

Direct link to the buttplate kit is [www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16303&cat=0&page=3

How I finished it. Instead of staining thought I'd try something different. Got the wood smoother with the 3M pads and rubbed in a coat of Boiled Linseed Oil. Let it dry for a couple weeks. Hit it again with the 3M pads to smooth any wood grain that rose up. Then applied several coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly and that's all there's to it. The BLO should be pretty "dry" before applying the Wipe-On. Also, the Wipe-On gets rubbed on in very thin coats which is nice because you don't get defects and you control how thick(shiny) the finish will turn out. I use the semi-gloss version of Wipe-On.

It was almost immediately apparent the BLO gave the wood a nice mellow glow that looks really natural; plus it enhanced the contrast between the darker and lighter sections. I think for any new wood sets I deal with from now on, this method will be considered.

The wood is from Ironwood Designs. It's a "lower grade" because of the sapwood. I deliberately chose this two tone wood because it was cheaper and I figured it might turn out cool.

I figure I might as well paint the stock if the whole thing is going to be one color. http://www.fototime.com/A8CD7C1748553F9/standard.jpg
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
whats the point of boiled linseed oil?did you let it cool or use it warm?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks great!!!...I have an angle cut MAK that I am wanting to do up.

How much fitting did you have to do on the wood?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#14]
For fitting....a little bit of sandpaper on the lower handguard so it'd fit the receiver. Took maybe 5-10 minutes. That's all.

On the BLO. You don't boil the BLO. I'm not totally sure why it's called Boiled Linseed Oil. Raw linseed oil just doesn't want to dry so "dryers" are added to it and it's called BLO.

My purpose for using BLO was twofold....get some moisture into the dry wood and darken the wood up just a bit instead of experimenting with stains.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#15]
My MAK 90 has the milled receiver.  I was looking for a buttplate to use with one of Ironwood's stocks, and could not find one anywhere.  The one at KVAR has the trap door mechanism, but the milled receiver stock from Ironwood does not have a hole for the cleaning kit (I believe there is a rod running down the stock to bolt it to the receiver).

Does anyone know if a trapdoor buttplate can be modified to work on a stock without the hole for the cleaning kit?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it'd just be a matter of fitting a piece of sheet metal under the butt to cover the hole. Or cutting the "hook" off the door and dremeling some wood to make room for the hinge mechanism. Just some thoughts.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top