Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 4:06:27 PM EDT
I purchased a AMD-65 parts set and a new receiver.  The new receiver is thicker then the stock receiver so I'd like to machine down the trunions to fit the new receiver.  I asked a friend who is a machinist and he needs to know what type of material it is made from and the hardness.

From all the research I've done I believe it's hardened stainless steel, possibly 8620.  Does anybody have any more information I can give my friend.  We can tell it's hardened by taking a file to it and it won't hardly touch it.

Any replies will be helpful.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
i dont know the particualr type of steel, but a belt sander will work.
just do like 5 seconds on each side and then test-fit...
if its still too big, repeat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
8620 is an alloy steel, not a stainless steel. It is used a lot for case hardening applications.
If it is case hardened, you could be looking at 59-60 HRC.
A belt sander will work fine, or if you need more precision, use a surface grinder.
Jaymor
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top