Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 2:38:39 PM EDT
i just bought a sa85m and it has the thumbhole stock.my question is can i legally cut the thumbhole out of bottom of the stock and re-work the wood so i have pistol grip and normal ak style of stock
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes...if you put 5 US made parts inside the rifle beforehand.

To answer your next question: "will cutting my thumbhole stock constitute making 2 US parts?"

It will be 2 parts, but I'm pretty sure they will still be considered foreign made.
just noticed your from Canada, I do not know the laws there. My answer applies to you being in the US.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Same here, but if ya find out ya can....... check out the beautiful walnut stocks (finished or unfinished) here, which would be a better more attractive choice IMO.

I went the un-finished route and placed about 10 coats of tongue-oil on mine, their quite lovely and functionally tough.

www.ironwooddesigns.com/2Aprodpage/1zAKproduct.html

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for your imput.Just what i thought 5 u.s parts needed.Must be an era from the good old usa not canada.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested in the thumbhole stock if you change it out.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top