Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2012 1:20:21 PM EDT
I got an email from Gio at amd65tech and he explained to me the following:

Sir that concept will cause you to loose structural integrity, better known as accuracy.
The steel "hand guard" is the other half of the receiver.
That's why the AMD is so accurate out of the box. 150-200 yrds easy.
Call me if you would like to chat about this. 214.365.xxxx

Best regards,
Gio

Has anyone had this issue that shortened the gas tube and replaced the metal handguards with standard wooden ak handguards.

Thanks,
Randy
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't really see how ?...... as the bottom wooden handguard locks into the forward retaining ring just as the metal one does and slides into the receiver in the back just like the metal one does. The top one locks down just like the the original gas tube does. As a matter of fact it seems and feels stronger to me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to know why he thinks that too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The AMD shoots well because of the shorter stiffer barrel. Now in fitting the wood hand guards you could have possibly changed the barrels harmonics. Even, if that occurred it would not be a night and day difference.

In Afghanistan we would frequently change them out for the TDI lower hand guard. We noticed no real differences.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
That effect is not valid. As already stated, one fore arm is as good as another given equal fitting. In fact, I doubt it would matter if the fore arm was there or not. Gas tube fit should be snug, not ultra-tight. Once I found ammo it liked (Yugo), I was also surprised that my AMD65 with original barrel shot just as well as my SA85M.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
It deals with the barrel harmonics of the AMD.

That is why with the ULTIMAK the accuracy actually improves because you are now TIGHTENING down the barrel even more.

Dave Fortier talked about it greatly and it does make sense if you see an AK in slow motion. That entire platform and the barrel is practically whipping up and down.

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top