Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/6/2009 2:54:33 PM EDT
Hello all, the AK bug has bitten me quite badly as of late and I'm thinking of selling off a quite valuable S&W that sits in the safe to finance more AK's. Just got a new flyer from Centerfire systems and I see they have AMD-65's for $400, seems to be a good price to me. As for those of you who have them are they all Hungarian or are they US receivered guns? Doesn't say one way or the other in their flyer, should be close to $500 OTD from my delaer. I want ot make sure they're quality before I sell something that I might regret later, any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The 'AMD-65' available to us is based on a parts kit from Hungary. Some of these have actually been manufactured in Hungary on FEG SA2000M receivers. Consequently, the gun is an FEG SA2000M - only an 'AMD-65' for marketing. These Hungarian ones are made by people who must have or had some connection with the defunct FEG company and access to previously unused FEG receivers. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, though. I was glad to get mine with the original 12" barrel and the SA2000M stock. What you want to look for is the original barrel. Some 'AMD-65's are made with 16" barrels and the original muzzle brake with no extension. They're probably fine but I would want the original military barrel even though it has to have nearly a 2" extension plus the brake being welded on to make the required 16". The other reciever commonly used for these is the NODAK SPUD. This becomes the legal name of the rifle on the paperwork. So, at best, you want the FEG receiver and original barrel. Here's how you tell the barrel - the sight base will be only 1/4" from the gas block and it will have either a 2" extension plus the long brake, or a Tapco one-piece brake/extension which is preferred. Many of the made-up extensions manage to get welded crooked, plus they are almost 3/4" longer than they have to be.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a Centerfire AMD65.  It is marked as the FEG SA2000M on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magwell.  From the info I got from searching, it was originally imported with a 10 round magwell and milled out by TGI like all of the WASR10's have been.  The magwell on mine definately has been milled.  I can clearly see where the inside of my receiver was bumped by the milling bit.  I am very pleased with mine as it appears to be a great shooter after putting 210 rounds through it.  I read a link on the AK forum from October that Centerfire had the Centry builds along with the TGI conversions.   David

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got a Centerfire AMD65.  It is marked as the FEG SA2000M on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magwell.  From the info I got from searching, it was originally imported with a 10 round magwell and milled out by TGI like all of the WASR10's have been.  The magwell on mine definately has been milled.  I can clearly see where the inside of my receiver was bumped by the milling bit.  I am very pleased with mine as it appears to be a great shooter after putting 210 rounds through it.  I read a link on the AK forum from October that Centerfire had the Centry builds along with the TGI conversions.   David

That's right, the SA2000M receiver is originally 'single-stack'. I found on mine that the 'milling' operation missed fully cutting back the receiver mag guide rails, and the sharp corner left on one rail was gouging magazines. This was a five-minute fix with a small flat file. Definitely check your magazines for gouging and examine the empty mag well for this condition.
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I would look for the receiver marked made in Hungary with the real 12" chrome lined bbl. with the welded extension. Mine was imported and built to 922r by TGI, Everything is really quality except the hand grips. And I found some original ones online. There used so I hope they are in better condition then the ones that are on it now. I paid $470+tax for mine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the TGI imported FEG one. I paid $500 and I like it very much.

I had the SA2000m, it was an unfired safe queen so I sold it about a year ago for $400. It was a really cool rifle but it only had a 10 rd proprietary mag. I bought it new in Cali.

I also have a SA85m that I bought new, awesome rifle.

You really can't go wrong with the FEG's.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top