Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/18/2008 1:22:57 PM EDT
I just bought a SA85M, FEG, KBI, etc.  Very clean.  I'd wanted one for a long time.  I had a thumbhole SA85M many years ago but hated it's look and sold it.
This will be my 2nd AK and after sending my money I confirmed my reasoning for not buying another one sooner, which is I am ignorant of AKs and there is A LOT to know.  I saw the slant brake and thought this a great price on a Hungarian, I'll take it! Press enter.  Then I get more pics and notice no bayo lug or ears on the FSB for the cleaning rod.  So know I have another semi neutered AK.  I'm sure I'll be happy with it but aesthetically it is messing with me.
So...  My questions:

1. I paid $750 shipped, is this an OK price?

2. Can I remedy the lug/FSB issue without a financial hernia? That is, replace with non PC parts.

Thanks for any help in advance.  I hope this is the right AK forum, I've been on the AR forums for a while.

DAY51
+54

here or email [email protected]

Thanks Buck_Naked!

Anyone else with info on swapping parts out?

Ditto to patriot73 and Mak
Extremely helpful... The AK world is quite the maze to a newb!

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I was looking at the post of the AK I think you are talking about... make sure it has the correct US parts count... The KBI guns were post ban, and came with a thumbhole stock. It appears that the stock was changed out, but no mention was made of what other changes were made. I can't comment on the price to retrofit the gun.

One other thing, those SA85's came with two different gas length systems, and I believe that one had the shorter than standard version.

As far as the price, it really depends on if the weapon is what you want. If you were to find a clean SA85m and do the conversion yourself, I think you would have more into the gun than what you paid for the gun in question. I am looking for an SA85m myself, and thought it was a very nice looking gun, but I decided to pass on that one...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
$750 is on the high side.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Buck_Naked!

Ditto to patriot73 and Mak
Extremely helpful... The AK world is quite the maze to a newb

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If I have inferred correctly from your posts, you apparently thought you were buying a pre-ban SA 85 for $750, which would have been a screaming deal. Instead, you got a messed-with SA 85M which is non-compliant with the law, and you paid $300 too much.  The seller should have disclosed what the gun actually was and any problems such as 922. The Hungarian SA 85s are great traditional AKMs, but I would pay more for an original one than an altered one. In other words, I would want to do the altering. I would be very upset about this deal if I were you.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top