Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2007 12:14:10 PM EDT
Are the muzzle brakes on the Bulgarian kits chrome lined?
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes

MBR
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Then I'm wondering what I got.

I bought a Bulgarian kit rifle recently and the muzzle brake is NOT chrome lined.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#3]
My Arsenal 106FR has a chrome lined brake.  Who did you buy the kit from?  Recently I looked at a Bulgarian 74 kit a guy was selling at a gun show and the brake was not chrome lined.  He said he purchased the kit from ORF and that was the brake they sent him with the kit.  I would have thought all Bulgarian military AK74muzzle brakes to be chrome lined, but maybe not.  Or, ORF is supplying aftermarket brakes with their kits?
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you want it to be chrome-lined for mere authenticity, or is there some other reason?
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the rifle from Ohio Rapid Fire.

I liked the idea of chrome lining to resist the effects of erosion and corrosion from corrosive ammo.

Also, was just wondering if the brake was a US or original part.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The front side of your brake................Is there a zig-zag pattern, or a half moon pattern ??

The Bulgarian zig-zag pattern is an early version........and some are not chrome plated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a half-moon with the pressed-in insert.
NO markings of any sort on it, flat black finish just like the rest of the Bulgarian parts.

I emailed ORF to ask about it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I liked the idea of chrome lining to resist the effects of erosion and corrosion from corrosive ammo.

I can understand that. I guess the good thing is that if the brake did ever corrode, it would be an easy an inexpensive replacement. If you don't wanna go through the trouble or expense of replaceing it with a chrome-line brake, I guess you could just rub a little water-proof grease inside of it. They you're ready in case a psunami hits and you're fielding your AK while the waters recede.

Anyway, let us know what ORF says.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
"flat black finish just like the rest of the Bulgarian parts"

ummm - you're sure they didn't just PAINT it along with the rest of the rifle parts?  I always GunKoat my brakes... all Chrome lined, but you wouldn't know it on a new, unfired build :)
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
ORF got back to me today.

They say that about 50% of their kits have chrome lined muzzle brakes, and 50%, including some zig-zag brakes don't.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
In the last 18 months, I've purchased eight Bulgarian kits from ORF.  Only three have chrome lined brakes.  It's not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I got four 74 kits from orf and they all are chromed.  I think they all are chromed actually.  Some of those kits are rearsenalized as one I received.  The chrome was partially covered by paint.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
After a few rounds down the pipe, it's hard to clean it up enough to tell if it's chrome lined or not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got my new AK-74 back from Ohio Rapid Fire.
The original barrel was defective, so they sent me a new rifle.

They also paid for me having to ship it back the second time AND they paid my dealer's fee for receiving a new rifle.
Can't beat that.

The new rifle has a zig-zag chrome lined brake, AND a chrome lined gas block.

I'm happy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my rifle back from Armory USA ...it had the barrel replaced...and well its a ssr-85c-2 barrel....this one now has a threaded muzzle and has what i would call a zig zag brake....

anyhow...it is not totally tight...but it wont time right with the detent if i go one more turn..

is a bit of "play" normal...

can i swap this out?

and so as not to hijack the OP

mine is not chrome lined

thanks Heavymetal...nevermind me...

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top