Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/20/2006 9:10:41 AM EDT
I have an SLR-95 that I could use some advice on. I had the muzzle brake removed and a slant brake welded on during the ban. The problem is, I see at the end of the barrel just inside the brake a small ridge from either the weld, or the pin. The weld itself actually looks pretty bad. I have not fired it since getting it back, so I don't know if this very small ridge will affect accuracy or not, but I know that it was not there before. I am looking to convert this an AR-M1. What would the recommedations be?
1. Cut the end of the barrel off, and perm attach the AR-M1 flash hider?
2. Pull the barrel, buy a new one, and start over?
3. Try and just remove the brake that is welded on? (this would be pretty tough - it does not appear to be a little tack weld.)
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can remove the brake you could probably recrown it. Then pull the front sight base and and install a M1 style SB and flashider. While you are at it, change out your gas block for one with bayo lug and hole for cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that sounds good. I think I am just going to cut the area with the ridge off. I will probably have to weld the flash suppressor on though. I should only have to take off about 1/4".  Can I just cut the end of the barrel off with a hacksaw and then recrown? Also, is this the correct FSB?
www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16352&cat=290&page=1
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes that is the FSB I used along with their flash-hider. Too bad you have to chop off any barrel, I would really be hesitant unless I had the tools. Good luck. If Imageshack would let me access my pics I would show you a couple of mine I cloned.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
OK. After going back and going through the rifle, I am not even sure that I would consider it a ridge. Its more like a wave in the chrome. Its in between the lands and it is so slight that I have to really look for it with a bore light. I cannot see that it would be a problem as far as function, but I wonder if alot of firing would cause the chrome to break loose. Could it just be a slight wave in the chrome from the heat of the brake being welded on? I don't think that I need to cut the barrel down though. I am going to dremel off the brake and see how the barrel looks underneath. The brake looks like it was welded to the front site. Any suggestions on removing the brake?
Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top