Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2004 7:02:40 PM EDT
In the new FAC catalog they are advertising a "Rapid Fire" AK74 for $500.  The only thing that  I can see that's any different  is that it has a muzzle break on it.    I believe the parts kit they used are for sale in there for $189.  And they used an Ohio Ordance reciever which I think you can get for around $70.  Is a $250 markup worth having a "professional" put it together, along with the compliance parts.  Or could you save by doing it yourself?  Is it worth the hassle?  They also have come out with a WASR-2 now chambered for  the 5.45x39 for $309.  Do you go this route or should I save a little longer and get the Bulgarian?  Basically I'm just looking for a shooter but  it would also be a lifer.    Last  question being, do you guys think it would be a good idea to wait a little while and see what the market brings or buy now (money is burning a hole in my pocket).  I know it's a lot of questions from the new guy, but any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Ohio Rapid Fire  does excellent quality work.  It is true that the Bulgarian kits are a great value at $189.  These were unissued rifles cut up for importation.  Add up the kit, receiver, fcg, piston, U.S. stock set, shipping, etc.  I think you will find much less than a $250 markup for a complete rifle that has a warranty backed by a great company.  Look at the SEAK (Special Edition AK) threads for some more info on ORF builds.
The WASR2 rifles will not have the authentic magwell bulges and will not have as nice a finish.  Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
They use a Century FCG and the furniture is not U.S (unless the pistol grip is).  Look for the post from T. Grove concerning these.  You can get them direct from ORF if they still have any.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I think I'll wait/save a little longer and see what the market  brings.  If not, the ORF  product seems solid.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
if the rifle has been reparked even if u build it yourself your gonna b around the same price
with alot of hassle and work
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a good lifer rifle..Bulgy ORF is the stuff IMO.....
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top