Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2002 8:58:19 PM EDT
I just purchased a SLR-95 and want to convert it back to it's military configuration.  I know that I need to add 5 US parts to it to be leagal, but I have a couple of questions.

The main question is the lower tang!  Is it hard to install and will the K-Var milled lower tang # Ak-209 work on the Bulgy?

I also assume that the K-VAR US buttstock # 020BUSM buttstock will also work on this rifle.  

I will also install a US FSG and a US pistol grip.  

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tracker
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally have not attempted to install the lower tang, but from what I understand, it isn't all that hard, but it does require relieving the receiver for the tang.

I can recommend the K-Var FCG, and the US pistol grip very highly.  The US made butt stock is cast 1 1/2" longer, and really fits anyone over 5'8" very well.

Good luck with your new toy!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Templar,  I am very comfortable with the whole conversion with the exception of the lower tang.  Do you know if there is a web site that describes this proceedure?

I am not really sure how the lower tang is attached to the receiver.  I already ordered the buttstock and I think it should answer some of my questions.  

Thank You for your help.

Tracker
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
JB Weld the lower tang.

have put nearly 4000k of wolf through mine and it still rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I may need to try that if all else fails.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I am faced with the same problem. I emailed AK-USA to see if perhaps they could mill out the lower tang slot and they said that they do not have the proper machine to do it but that they would be getting the proper equipment in a month or two. So I am going to sit tight and email them again in Feb.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Tracker -
If your slr95 has the factory slot milled in
you only need to rivet the tang on.

If not you will have to file or dremel a slot.

Here is a pic of the factory slot.

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#7]
AKsRule,  I am in the same boat as Belloc ( no factory milled slot for the lower tang).

It would be nice to have this factory milled, but I think a good file & my rotozip I can do this.  I am a little weary of cutting this slot out, but I dont think I could hurt this receiver.  It's built like a tank.

How long should this take?  Anyone performed this proceedure before?

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a buddy who converted a SA-93 to a pistol grip configuration using an ACE stock (looks like the Galil/FN Para stock) and K-VAR internals and pistol grip.

Came out great, and the stock is extremely tough and durable, just not "Warsaw Pact" in styling.  It requires no milling and is designed to work without the lower tang.

Just and idea, especially if you're just looking for a pistol grip and an extremely functional stock set.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Are there any kits to convert an SLR-95 to pistol grip without having to install a lower tang ?

My reciever looks exactly like the one in the picture of AKsrule's post. Where do you rivet a tang on ? Where do you get the tang itself ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure, Phil, you can put an ACE stock set on if you aren't concerned about it not being militarily correct.

www.riflestocks.com/

You can get the US made pistol grip and fire control system from www.k-varcorp.com .  K-Var also has the lower tang.  You have to machine a slot in the receiver to then rivet the lower tang into it.  Kind of a pain in the butt, but if you want a military stock set, then you have to do it.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
You mean like this
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's mine:
community.webshots.com/photo/24828162/58903874uSpiQr

I had a lower tang and cut it in half and put it on the stock for appearences sake. But I want the extra strength/military config. of the double tang so I will just have to wait until AK-USA gets the right machine in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Great looking rifles!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#14]
You can cut the slot for the tang with a doublecut flat file. It will take you about an hour of filing. The Dremel really isn't up to the job. You will need a drill and a proper size bit because you are going to have to drill a hole. The tang holes go over the REAR trigger guard rivets so you just file the rear rivet flat and punch it out. Install the new rivet temporarily to hold the tang in place, make sure everything fits (the stock) mark the location of the hole you have to drill using the tang as the guide. Looking at the pics I have show that on the rifle I had, the rear trigger guard rivet hole was there in the trigger guard but not through the receiver. That's where you might have to drill. Remove everything, drill the hole, you're done. All you have to do now is assemble.

Then all you need are the rivets, a hammer and a hunk of steel (like a vise) to back up the other side of the rivet. Whack it with a hammer and a punch. Don't want to rivet it?
Use screws.

I used to have a picture post instruction set of how to do the job to a SLR but with the lack of free picture hosting these days it's not on the web. I do still have the pictures though. If you want I can email them to you but you really don't need them.

Just order up the tang and use it as a guide for where and how much to file. Pretty much just file the receiver flat the width of the tang.

I had more trouble installing the screws in the K-Var buttstock. Use the Screws for the STAMPED version, not the ones K-Var sells with the milled stock.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Valmet.  If you want me to post the pics, email them to me at [email protected] and I'll put them up for you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Valmet,  I would love to see the pictures you have of this project.  I will wait for the pictures to be posted from Templar.

This is exactly the info I was looking for.  Great detailed instructions.

Thanks to all!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
These pictures were sent to me from Valmet_M76.

Thanks for the pictures Valmet!

Picture of the lower tang.

Picture of the lower tang slot cut out on the receiver.

Once you receive the lower tang; purchase a double cut mill file that is the same width as the lower tang.  File the slot flat with the bottom of the receiver.

Fitting the tang

Fitted tang

Home-Fitted

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top