Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 11:54:07 AM EDT
I just got finished converting my Bulgarian "Arsenal" SLR-95.  I bought the gun new back when they were just coming into the county for about $260.00 OTD.   I replaced the trigger group with a Tapco G2 Double Hook Trigger Group.  Replaced the butt stock with an Ironwood Birch Stock.  The front hand guards were Bulgarian painted hand guards from an SLR-96 that I traded someone for that I stripped and refinished.  The pistol grip is a Hogue AK grip.  The wood was all finished with "Old Masters" Dark Mohogany penetrating stain and about 4 coats of "Formby's Tung Oil Finish then rubbed lightly with "000" steel wool.

Heres the before picture...(the one on the top is my Arsenal SA M-7)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
looks nice!  for some reason, i do like the original stock more though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice conversion and refinish. I've never stained any stock sets, but have also used Fomby's Low Gloss Tung Oil with success on a Chicom stock set.

For some reason, I was never a big fan of the swelled lower handguards that came with the SLR-96 and SA-93. They don't necessarily look bad.....just different. I was always curious as to why Arsenal made them that way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That's some good lookin' wood furniture.

You did a great job.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great - your $260 investment is now worth about 4 times as much.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top