Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 1:41:07 PM EDT
I just ordered the blonde Bulgarian ak74 from atlantic firearms, so now I've got to acquire some ammo. I have a few questions before I buy ammo.

1.  I see that the Russian surplus is the best deal going and that it is corrosive.  I've shot corrosive ammo through bolt guns but I am hesitant to  
    shoot it though a semi because of the added cleaning of the gas system.  So how difficult is it to take gas tube off to properly clean?
2.  What areas beside the gas tube, piston, chamber, and barrell do I have to clean?
3.   Is there any milsup ammo out there that is non-corrosive?
4.  Is it worth the effort of the added cleaning and risk of corrosion for the cheaper ammo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
look in the general discussion area. Lots of threads on this. The AK is easy to break down and clean. I shoot almost all corrosive ammo. Not a prob as long as you take care of it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It is def. worth it since surplus ammo is so cheap. Just spray it down with the
garden hose pipe and then clean with CLP.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just ordered the blonde Bulgarian ak74 from atlantic firearms, so now I've got to acquire some ammo. I have a few questions before I buy ammo.

1.  I see that the Russian surplus is the best deal going and that it is corrosive.  I've shot corrosive ammo through bolt guns but I am hesitant to  
    shoot it though a semi because of the added cleaning of the gas system.  So how difficult is it to take gas tube off to properly clean?
2.  What areas beside the gas tube, piston, chamber, and barrell do I have to clean?
3.   Is there any milsup ammo out there that is non-corrosive?
4.  Is it worth the effort of the added cleaning and risk of corrosion for the cheaper ammo.

1. The AK is one of the easiest rifles ever made to field strip.  The gas tube comes off very easily.

2. You need to clean (with water or something that is mostly water) the bore, chamber, gas tube, gas block, muzzle attachment, face of the bolt, any where the corrosive fumes have contacted the metal.

3. All 5.45X39 military surplus is corrosive.  All the commercial Wolf etc ammo is not.

4. That's up to you.  Cleaning the corrosive residue is simply a preliminary step to normal cleaning.  It really isn't that big a deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I believe that i will just get the corrosive stuff.  
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top