Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/17/2008 8:16:12 AM EDT
Looking at picking up my first AK and of course its when quantities are "limited" to say the least LOL Are these decent and are they real bulgarian (obviously 922r compliant) Any input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you are talking about the SSR-85.  I have two I like them both.  They are solid and put together well.  The only thing I dont like is they have a thin layer of parker.  I would do it again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my SSR-85 as well.  Well worth the money.  As previously stated, the park finish is thin and leaves a little to be desired.  Other than that mine is 100% satisfactory. Nice wood furniture, smooth action, excellent trigger.  I would do it all over again without hesitation.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Just be sure to use the crappy pro mag that comes with it or replace the FCG with a G2.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have one, haven't shot it yet but it's much niser than my wasr.

On a separate those of you how have shot the SSR85, any problems with hollow points? My wasr fires them fine and I hope the SSR does to as I just got a case of wolf HPs.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
No problems with hollow points on mine. Overall, these area outstanding, solid, accurate AKs. I am very pleased with mine and only wish I would have had the $$$ to buy a couple more.

I know some SSRs are coming in (or came in) without muzzle threads and tac'ed-on slant brakes, while other have threaded barrels with either tac'ed-on brakes or removable brakes (no tac welding). They are also neutered with the ears for the bayonet ground off the FSB.
I was fortunate enough to have been able to pick out my own gun, so I got one with threads and a removable brake. I bought the one with he plastic stock because I planned on replacing it and it was a cheaper investment up front.
This is what mine looked like before..

...then I replaced the FSB with one that had the bayonet ears...

...and then I replaced the furniture with this...

...and she looks like this now:
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Your SSR looks nice Carlos.  What did you use on the wood?  Anytime i go brown it comes out too dark.  I have one of mine up for a possible trade but I am not so sure I want to do it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.

I used two coats of Minwax Red Mahogany #225. Let that dry fully and wiped off the excess after each application. That was followed by two coats of Minwax Polyurethane satin, with steel wool between applications. I then hand buffed the stock after everything was dry. Very smooth. These closeups give you a better idea of the final result.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I never even noticed the missing bayonet lugs on mine.  That pisses me off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's an easy fix, you know. $35.69 plus about an hour's worth of work to replace the front sight. I used my pin removal jig to take the old pins out...makes the whole process easy. I didn't take any pics of the tool on the Bulgy, but here are some when I removed the FSB on my AMD. This one was WAY off.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an easy fix, you know. $35.69 plus about an hour's worth of work to replace the front sight. I used my pin removal jig to take the old pins out...makes the whole process easy. I didn't take any pics of the tool on the Bulgy, but here are some when I removed the FSB on my AMD. This one was WAY off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Tool3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Tool7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Tool8.jpg

I know its "easy" I even have  the spare FSB that will fit the barrel in my junk drawer.  It just involves parking and painting the FSB and this is my AK I want to keep looking good.  I'm just mad because there was no need to neuter the rifle in the first place.  If a WASR can come in single stack with a bayo lug so could this gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Were theses the same AK's that Aim surplus was selling?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a wood version from Aim, and liked it so much I bought a poly version.  I got the poly from Peach State Guns, both businesses were very good to deal with.  The only negative thing I have to say about these rifles is the poly rifle had a welded brake and when I removed it the threads had been turned down.  I'm still dealing with that problem...  The wood rifle was threaded with out a weld.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/nagasako/hmm067.jpg

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/nagasako/hmm075.jpg

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr235/nagasako/hmm031.jpg

Thanks,
Toby
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got a wood version from Aim, and liked it so much I bought a poly version.  I got the poly from Peach State Guns, both businesses were very good to deal with.  The only negative thing I have to say about these rifles is the poly rifle had a welded brake and when I removed it the threads had been turned down.  I'm still dealing with that problem...  The wood rifle was threaded with out a weld.

I got my rifle from Peach State as well. Fortunately, I was able to drive there to pick out my gun. I had read where people were finding SSRs either with the threaded barrels like normal, or with the threads turned down and tac-welded brakes, so I wanted to be sure mine had the threads. Adam at Peach State warned me that if I got a new gun with the tac-welded brake, it was 50/50 as to whether it would have threads or not underneath the brake.
I opted for a customer return gun after sifting through several guns. The only thing wrong with the one I finally purchased was that the cleaning rod would not go in all the way (it was hitting the bullet guide rivet), and that took all of about one minute to fix although it was a non-issue with the Ironwood stock set.

So, have you decided what you're going to do to fix the lack of threads?? You have several options.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have a turned down tread. What are the options I have?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
here is my 85-C2 ...beeen reworked inside and out with all kinds of upgrades and features and id put it up against just about anything now !

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
here is my 85-C2 ...beeen reworked inside and out with all kinds of upgrades and features and id put it up against just about anything now !

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/bigdaddytom/SSR-85-C2.jpg

I remember seeing your SSR a while back in some post. Yours is the gun that inspired me to buy an SSR and then to change out the furniture set. I thought it was so nice that I was tempted to do a direct copy, but changed my mind and went for a slightly different look. You have an exceptionally nice AK there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
thanks for the kind words Carlos ! my gun has had so much done to it and changed out that its unreal.  YOUR gun turned out  terrific! beautiful job on the wood and  i like the set, the reddish hue to it really makes it pop! congrats on taking a great rifle  and makin it even better!
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top