Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/27/2008 8:58:46 PM EDT
I already have yugo underfolder and a few ARs i am just trying to decide on an arsenal ak. Do i go the 5.56 (.223) or the ak way 7.62*39. I would really like to hear your opinions on it. Oh and did i mention i can get a slr 106f for 680.00 unfired help me decide!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have Arsenal AKs in both calibers and both are first rate firearms. The 5.56 is the SA-M5S.

If I could go with only one, I would likely go with the 7.62x39. Ammo is cheaper than .223/5.56 and it is the classic caliber. Sure like my SA-M5S though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I only do AK's in the traditional 7.62 and 5.45x39, so of your two choices, my vote would go to the 7,62
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]

My SLR106FR (other than a canted front sight base and needing a touchup on the feed ramp to run all generation Bulgy mags) is a delight and WAY more accurate than any 762X39 AK I've had.  So much so my 18" WOA barreled AR is getting a semi permanent optic and going to be dedicated to 300-600yd play, and my 106 has become my go to 0-300 556 carbine.

Then again, I'm more for function over tradition (and I have a converted Saiga still in 762X39).  
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
And I just saw the 106F part for $680 unfired (uber??) and you have a Yugo already, that makes it a no-brainer (IMHO) get the 106!!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just picked up the 106 today i am going to shoot it tomorrow. Thanks for all your wisdom
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:

My SLR106FR (other than a canted front sight base and needing a touchup on the feed ramp to run all generation Bulgy mags) is a delight and WAY more accurate than any 762X39 AK I've had.  So much so my 18" WOA barreled AR is getting a semi permanent optic and going to be dedicated to 300-600yd play, and my 106 has become my go to 0-300 556 carbine.

Then again, I'm more for function over tradition (and I have a converted Saiga still in 762X39).  

So if i touch up the feed ramp with my dremmel i can run .223 ammo in AK 74 mags in my new gun?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:49:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So if i touch up the feed ramp with my dremmel i can run .223 ammo in AK 74 mags in my new gun?

Not what I said, and I don't know about that.
I had to touch up the feed ramp (see "556 feed ramp fix" sticky in this forum) so that it would reliably feed early and later polymer Bulgarian 556 mags.  Early ones don't nudge the rounds towards center like the later ones do.

I haven't looked into what needs to be done to run AK74 (545) mags, but I believe I've read it takes a follower change and maybe more.........

Post a range report on how you like it once you try it out.  If you don't I'm sure you can get your money (or damn close to it) back.  I'm trying to slim down on calibers is why I didn't go 545, plus for a SHTF gun, I want  a caliber I can feed off Wally World's shelves.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Do i go the 5.56 (.223) or the ak way 7.62*39. ... help me decide!

Just picked up the 106 today i am going to shoot it tomorrow. Thanks for all your wisdom

75% of responders suggested 7.62x39, and you went with .223.
Why did you ask for decision help when you had no intention of using it?

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

arfcom polls are binding?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
arfcom polls are binding?

Don't you know... the world revolves around them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]

He did use the help, he listened to my sound non-koolaid drinking advice
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to the range today and absolute loved shooting the gun. Probably my favorite gun in my arsenal right now. I am really glad i went with the .223 now i just need to get some more 30rd mags. Thanks for the advice sobrbiker883 i am glad i took it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

height=8

Thats the great thing about asking for an opinion its just that an "OPINION" Nobody gave any reason for going 7.62*39 over the .223 except for the price of ammo. I am happy with my decision and i feel bad that you have to go around slamming people for not going with the majority says.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an Arsenal INC SLR106FR and love it.. but I also have a Chinese 7,62

Yes the 7,62 is cheaper and that is becasue it is imported - those imports go away or dry up and become lsow ..watch the price of 7,62mm go through the roof..and if your one of tose people that say "That  would never happen in the USA". - you are a fool

I look at all the loads 5,56 comes in - it is mind boggling...

I say be happy with your choice - who care what the Kool-aid club says
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm glad you got something you enjoy.  I know I like mine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Back in April I bought my Aresenal 106cr and took it to the range. I pulled the trigger, and nothing; the round was jammed in the reciever at about a 45 degree angle. Pulled that mag and put in another and fired a few successful rounds and then the same thing happened. This continued with about 4 rounds fired for every misload-jam. I tried different cartridges and magazines and had the same problem.

My firearms dealer sent it back to Arsenal. I call Arsenal every two days they tell me to call back in two more days and after a month the tech apparently hasn't even looked at it yet. I'm a very patient guy but wonder how good an outfit Arsenal is. I know they (usually) sell a terrific product but buyer beware should you need company service. You think that in a business where reputation is everthing they would have at least replaced their defective product to keep their customers happy. It sure isn't like dealing with Rock River or Sig where customer satisfaction is the highest priority. I'll let you all know how this misadventure turns out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Back in April I bought my Aresenal 106cr and took it to the range. I pulled the trigger, and nothing; the round was jammed in the reciever at about a 45 degree angle. Pulled that mag and put in another and fired a few successful rounds and then the same thing happened. This continued with about 4 rounds fired for every misload-jam. I tried different cartridges and magazines and had the same problem.

My firearms dealer sent it back to Arsenal. I call Arsenal every two days they tell me to call back in two more days and after a month the tech apparently hasn't even looked at it yet. I'm a very patient guy but wonder how good an outfit Arsenal is. I know they (usually) sell a terrific product but buyer beware should you need company service. You think that in a business where reputation is everthing they would have at least replaced their defective product to keep their customers happy. It sure isn't like dealing with Rock River or Sig where customer satisfaction is the highest priority. I'll let you all know how this misadventure turns out.

That sucks. Let us know how everything works out. BTW welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have an 106cr also and it shot like yours. I was shooting Ga. Arms .223 and Bulgarian blk and clear mags. The most it would shoot was 4 rds. before it jammed. I switched to steel cased ammo and it shot w/out jamming. fired 180 rds of the steel cased Barnaul. Went back to brass ammo and started to jam again. I love this rifle but It has to work with ALL types of ammo for me. I am going to try the hot 5.56 ammo to see if that works, if not, off to Arsenal it goes. For $850 it better work REAL GOOD!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep an open mind. Remember you never know which of these rifles may become wall hanger if imported ammo should decrease in supply.  i Have several AK's in all three calibers and have the option to sellect a specific caliber or rifle when ammo for one may become hard to find or even aquire.  Right now some fantasic deals are on 5.45 ammo but two years ago this same caliber was next to impossible to find based on import and overseas priorities. Shooting 5.56 in a AK system is a treat and a strait shooter and in some ways in my humble opinionis the best of all three calibers with 5.45 a close second.  Nothing will replace the basic russian short in 762x39 but in all fairness the russian 5.45 or american 556 will win hands down every time when accurate first shot is required or sustained time second shots are needed for added insurance.    
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He never said that. There are three generations of Bulgarian 5.56 magazines. There is a link tacked at the top of this section to address this.

RR
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top