Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:32:45 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me how to fix a canted front sight?  I know that you have to drill the old pins out and then re-pin.  Can anyone elaborate further?  Will it just move after I drill it out?  What do I use to pin it again?  Then should I file it down?  Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The only info I know of is on this site

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

Hope this helps
-Soldier48
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
 Is it canted so much that you can't zero the rifle?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#3]
No, it's canted enough to bother me, I didnt shoot it yet so I dont know if it wont zero.  I bought the gun over the phone, I called a store (2 hours away) which always has great prices on guns, I asked him if he had any wasr10 for sale. (I wanted a cheap ak that I could just shoot the heck out of and experiment with different finishes because I am building 5 polish underfolders.) The owner said, "yeah, I have a really nice one with nice wood, tag is marked at $339.99, but for you since you buy a lot of guns with us, $275.00 + tax and $10.00 to ship.  My total cost was $301.50.

Great buy right?  Wrong, it has a canted sight, the mag well wouldnt fit any of the magazines i own and only came with 1 20 rounder.  I had to dremmel the mag well, and worst of all the thing is a postban. (no threads, and no bayo lug)  Not that it matters since I just wanted a shooter and a guinea pig.  

Now I take responsibilty for not asking the questions, "is it pre-ban, is the fsb canted?"  things like that but dealing with a guy that I purchased 12 weapons in the last 9 months.  He knows what I like...... I feel duped but it was my fault for not asking.....I just thought if I fixed the fsb I would feel better.

Thank you Soldier48 it did help!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
very simple fix. I have fixed my own as well as others for my friends. drift the pins out ,heat up the sight base(not the barrel) tap over with wooden mallit(you might have to look down your sight line and re-heat as nessesary) once your in the desired position let it cool completely,redrill the pin holes using a 1/8 drill bit . go to the hardware store and buy some 1/8 rod ,cut (2)  1/2"pieces and tapthem in the pin holes. grind off with dremel if nessesary. I sprayed a little high-temp flat back in a dixie cup and dabbed the pins with the paint. looks great,even for a Romy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Gunwolf.......now nI just cant wait to get your Aresenal!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm...I pulled the pins out of mine and heated the sights and hit it with a deadblow hammer and they still wouldn't move. I just gave up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hmmm...I pulled the pins out of mine and heated the sights and hit it with a deadblow hammer and they still wouldn't move. I just gave up.

Use it as a "Spray and Pray" rifle
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Try placing it in a vise padded with leather. Twist gently and it will move.

Unless it was welded...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can anyone tell me how to fix a canted front sight?  I know that you have to drill the old pins out and then re-pin.  Can anyone elaborate further?  Will it just move after I drill it out?  What do I use to pin it again?  Then should I file it down?  Thank you!

This would be a great opportunity to turn that post ban POS into a real nice no ban style rifle. get new fsb and gas chamber, redrill the holes and line everything up. At least that is what im doing with my post ban style arsenal slr 95.......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Contact CAI, they'll fix it for ya.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Contact CAI, they'll fix it for ya.

Whats the company's full name, because my sights are canted too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
century arms international
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top