Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/23/2005 6:05:35 PM EDT
I just got to shoot my rifle today for the first time. as long as I fired PMC shells it did ok. But when I use some military stuff I ran into problems. The shell would hang on the edge of the barrel where the lead and caseing meet. Has anyone else had this happen. It would do it approx 1 out of 3 times.

http://www.bigblock67chevelle.com/breech.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just sitting here cycleing it through by hand and it jamed again, with PMC shells this time. This time some of the shells appear to hit the end of the barrel. This was a differant mag. too. What the hell??
http://www.bigblock67chevelle.com/bullet.jpg
http://www.bigblock67chevelle.com/jam.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
 What kind off ammo are you using besides the PMC?  Is your rifle a kit build?  Does rocking and holding the magazine either forward or backward affect things?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
If it is a brand new build, it might be the break in peroid., but if that edge is not part of the chamber, I would smooth it over with a dremmel. I just looked at my SAR1 and it has a smoothed over edge there, and it looks intentional.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The mag. does not move at all. The other ammo is some I got off Ebay a ling time ago and has no name. It looks like some military surplus.  It's in a blister package with ten in each. It's green with a laquer finish and solid lead bullets. The rifle is not a build, it's Romanian and it's new.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Badrat,

Mine does the same thing and is also a WASR-10. I am considering trading mine or selling it outright to keep from blowing my own head off. It really is true that not all AK's were created equal. My Poly Tech never did that. I wished I still  had it too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Badrat,
     I have a couple of ideas to share. I have a GPWASR-10 that was very fussy about feeding and extracting at first. I would first ask you if you stripped the weapon down to it's components and thoroughly cleaned  all the internal workings. I had an amazing amount of metal debris from the milling procedure done to allow hicap magazines to fit. It was even in the GAS TUBE!!! Secondly, if yours is a hicap conversion like mine, carefully feel the internal edges with your finger to locate any burring from the conversion. I had to debur mine and it really had a positive effect on magazine fit! Thirdly, does your bolt tend to "hang" over the hammer when you manually cycle the action? Mine did so bad that it was the main problem with it's cycling problem. I removed the FCG and relieved the hammer profile, rounded the face, and polished both it and the bottom of the bolt carrier to smooth out the action. It's 100% reliable now! I know it shouldn't be such a pain, but look at this as an opportunity to learn more about the venerable AK-47. Some will tell you a Romy is always a piece of crap, but I think the companies who build up the kits are more to blame for their seeming low Quality Control efforts. I can send you some pics of my AK if you need any reference for profiling the hammer of your FCG.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's still on warrenty,  I'd send it back. If there is no warrenty, I would reshape the feed ramp.  From your pictures, it is clear that the case mouth is bashing the leading edge of the feed ramp. I would taper that leading edge a bit and try that.
  You didn't mention any other problems, but, from your picture , the left lower rail looks like it's a bit low and the bolt left locking lug is smacking into the rear of the trunion.  If this is true, it will eventually do damage to the trunion and the bolt.  This is an easy fix too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the same type problem with a Romanian WUM-1 when trying to fire soft point ammo. The exsposed lead on the tip of the bullet would catch on the edge of the feed ramp causing a jam.
A file like this one will fix the problem.
www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=195869
As it is a fine cut file it will leave a smooth finish. Use the round side of the file and file a 45 degree angle on the rear of the feed ramp. Start on one side of the ramp and move the file sideways to the other side of the feed ramp on each stroke.
Once the edge of the feed ramp of my rifle had a 45 degree angle on it the soft point ammo feed just fine.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I touched up the edge of the feed ramp with a dremel the other day and it still had the same problem. I took a road trip yesterday to SC from NC to the gunshop I bought it from on the net.  He said he would look at real close and let me know. I just got home and my caller ID said he called my house about 30 minutes after I left his shop, and he didn't leave a message (I don't know why since I was 4 hours from home ). I wondering if he found something. I'll let yall know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#12]
What did you find out?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Is that a WASR10?  I notice that it does not have the dimples, but has the high capacity trunion.  Nothing wrong with that, I just noticed a high capacity trunion on another WASR10 at a show a while ago.

Good thing about the Hi Cap trunion, is that it did not have to milled.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:38:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't found out anything yet. It should come back from the shop today or tomorrow. I'm waitnig on brown to show up. The gunsmith said he contacted the suppler (Century I belive)about this problem. He said he's never run across it in an AK before. He said he "throated" it out some. Yes it's a WASR 10 w/ high caps mags.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe in my WASR there is more of a smooth 45 degree incling going into the chamber, I will look when I get home.

Also you should give that Ak a good cleaning, also remove bolt, firing pin.   My two new WASRs were dirty as hell, the firing pin channel had gunk galore.

Perry
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#16]
can i put a tapco stock set on my wasr10? i havent had any reliabilty issues with mine feeds like a champ and shoots like a champ
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
No reason you can not put any stock you want on your WASR10, but just be sure it is for a stamped receiver (not milled).
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I built 2 identical amd-65's with 1.6 mm receivers one was for me and one was a highway patrol friend. the trunions where a pain but not too hard for carbide. after finished mine never failed to feed and fire but my friend's had this same three point jam problem. the problems i found where 1. magizine not high enough in receiver due to 1.6mm receiver leaving rear of  mag a little low, thinned safty and mag stop on trigger guard . 2. hammer was was pushing up so hard on carrier/bolt it was still passing over last 2 rounds in mag and 3 point jamming. 3. after grinding quite a bit of material off hammer the mag finally fed perfectly. the first thing i should have realized was hammer and spring where major cause and reshaped/polished hammer and thats all it would have taken to fix. i know this was long winded but it took 2 months to finally fix because of range time necessary to trouble shoot then make changes.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I checked on my SAR1 and the feed ramp has a definate 45 degree angle to it at the very start of the ramp.  I would really give it a good angle and see how it feeds.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, I just went out and ran 60 rounds thought it. With the FMJ's it worked flawlessly that I could tell. When I ran some green mil. stuff through it jammed on the third or fourth shell, after that it worked great. I would like to see some pictures of someone elses barrel end's and compair them. Look at these pictures I just took. When the bullet feeds from the right side it bumps the end of the barrel. The mag. is a great feeling fit and does not wobble. I'm just wondering if it is sitting high enough in tha gun. (Yes the gun is dirty. I just hot it hotter than the sun, now it's time to clean)http://www.bigblock67chevelle.com/left.JPG

right side.
http://www.bigblock67chevelle.com/right.JPG

Feed problem???
http://www.bigblock67chevelle.com/guide.JPG
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like you could stand to clean off some of that cosmoline.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]
If those mags are the Romanian ones - set them to the side and get you some East German or Chinese mags.  That's what I've done with my WASR-10 from the get-go and haven't had a problem with FTF's so far.  The Romanian mags are down-right rough - definitely not as well put together when compared to other country's mags.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#24]
The RH pic (with a loaded mag) appears to have the bolt carrior contacting the mag feed lips which may be the source of your problems. (where the finish is worn off) Take a marker to reblue the lip and cycle the action (empty mag) and see if it scrapes it off. There should be no carrior contact on the lips. If so I would guess your mag well was milled F'ed up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I tried what you said about marking the top of the mag. It doesn't seem to me touching. I'm not sure how that mag got that mark on it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Did you say you are shooting non jacketed bullets in this rifle? The rounds in the last picture appear to be lead. AKAIK shooting lead rounds out of a gas operated weapon will clog the gas port.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#27]
first off that ak is extremely dirty, number 2 you need to get all the cosmo off and pour clp in it, number 3 you need to make sure the mags are seating high enough o feed, number 4 check and see if there is a ramping on the barrel. mine came with a ramp and it fed fine no problems at all
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top