Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/1/2003 8:39:00 PM EDT
I have had an SAR-1 for a while and haven't had any issues until today.  Today a few of the pins have been working their way out the their seats, and it appears that unless I press them back into place after each firing, that they may actually retract to a point where they are inside of the receiver.  The three pins in question are:

Trigger axis pin
Hammer axis pin
Pin that holds the magazine latch

The magazine latch pin doesn't concern me much, since its just going to foul my ability to remove or insert a magazine, but the trigger and hammer axis pins concern me greatly.  It doesn't appear that there is any simple way to prevent this from happening.  Anyone have an answer to this?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you forget to put the shepherd's hook back in?

There is a wire that holds the hammer and trigger pins in by contacting the notches on the left side of the pins.  Sounds like yours is missing or installed incorrectly.

Not sure about the mag catch pin.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have routed the spring that wraps around the hammer extensions and over the trigger pivot pin.  I do not see a shepard's crook in the receiver whatsoever.  Is there a crook in the sar-1?  Where can I get one if its "missing"?

Kevin
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Lets double check what you are looking for. The shepard's hook is on the left side inside the receiver. The crook/hook is on the forward pin, and the rest of the pin winds towards below the trigger pin. It is a shiny silver unless heavily covered in crud (contrasts the black parts around it well).
Found?

Are you pins walking out toward the left side?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The shepherd's crook is not existant.  I don't know how it might have worked loose.  There was no problem with the rifle until recently, and no real reason to remove any fire control components.  I have ordered a replacement part from redstar, which is not a spring, but a plate.  I have read good reviews on the item.

The pins are crawling out toward the head side of the pin (left side).

Thanks alot for the help!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The shepherd's crook is not existant.  I don't know how it might have worked loose.  There was no problem with the rifle until recently, and no real reason to remove any fire control components.  I have ordered a replacement part from redstar, which is not a spring, but a plate.  I have read good reviews on the item.

The pins are crawling out toward the head side of the pin (left side).

Thanks alot for the help!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:02:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds good. Then just be sure to fit it into the locking grooves of the pins (not just riding on the pins) and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
It took me about 5 minutes to install and appears to be a solid concept.  I will take it out to shoot and let you know if I have further problems.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I tested the ak with the new redstar shepherd's crook replacement, and it works great.  No pin creep, and it took about 5 minutes to install.  The part is well worth the $12.99 plus shipping.

If you want to buy the part, I bought mine from powercustom.com.  They shipped quickly and included instructions for the install.  Really, it can't be better.

Its the 4th part listed on this page:

http://www.powercustom.com/AKPages/parts_ak.htm

You will probably have to scroll down a bit to get to see it.

Pres
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top