Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 1:35:41 PM EDT
I found a guy who has a Chinese AK for sale and I really don't know a lot about this type. I'm wondering if the price, $775, is fair.

1) it's pre-89 ban, all Chinese parts
2) threaded barrel with slate brake
3) underfolder bayo
4) straight wood stock set
5) it's a stamped reciever
6) markings: under the reciever, in front of the mag well it says "B-West Made in China"; on the side under the trunion it says "AKS-47 7.62X39"; that's all the markings on the gun other than the serial number and selector markings.
7) comes with cleaning kit and 30 round mag

The chamber and barrel are VERY clean and shiny. Bolt, carrier, fire control group are very clean with little wear. Gas pistol has little carbon build up. Over all it looks taken care of and no rust. The only problem is instead of being blued like most Chinese rifles it's painted black and that black paint is flaking. I don't know if someone painted it or if that's the way B-west sold them. Good news is it appears blued underneath so I could stripe the paint off and all should be good.

So fair deal or should I pass?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure it doesn't have the third hole.

IIRC, when I had an FFL in the '90's, BWest imported a bunch of really good looking AK's.  Problem was that the third hole had a rivet in it.  ATF mantra is 'once a machinegun, always a machinegun', so a rivet in the hole was just not good enough.  

Anyways, they sold a ton of them and the ATF only got a few back, so they're out there still.

Just look it over well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
make sure the receiver was made in China, and not a B-West manufactured receiver. B-West receivers have heat treating problems.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The receiver looks extactly like my buddy's MAK90's. There's no 3rd pin hole. Serial number in on the trunion. It was imported/made before 1989. The guy mention it being made on a Chinese receiver not a B-west made one and the B-west one having a soft steel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
that's a horrible price, you need to give me his contact info, so I can save you the trouble of paying to much for it...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you. I think I'll add this one to the collection then. I'll have to wait til next week as their shop is close this week for remodeling.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
make sure the receiver was made in China, and not a B-West manufactured receiver. B-West receivers have heat treating problems.

+1
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top