Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/2/2007 3:06:34 PM EDT
Greetings.  I am with you to see if my research is correct.

I have a totally as-manufactured stamped Norinco MAK-90, but the wood stock has split beyond repair.  I am therefore replacing the stock, which I believe, forces me to make this thing 922r compliant.  Is that correct?

I believe I'm starting out with 16 foreign made 922r applicable parts.
So, I intend to install a US made collapsible stock, plastic handguards and a plastic pistol grip.  I believe this reduces the foreign part count to 13.  (I think the handguards count as two parts and the pistol grip does not count at all)

I then intend to replace the gas piston and trigger group with US parts.  I think these count as three parts, which reduces the foreign part count to 10.

Am I correct or no??

Is there a better or easier way to get there?  I do not wish to use US magazines or mag parts.

And my apologies to everyone for asking this too often asked question.

Thanks much,
Stephen
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
For a stamped Mak90, you will need 5 parts to be compliant. It has 15 countable parts as it does not have a muzzle device(MD).  If you choose to add a MD, you will need 6(most people just add a us made MD)...  I used the G2 Fire Control Group(3), Gas piston(1), and a pistol grip(1)...That way I can put any furniture on it that I want depending on mood...  
My Mak today
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
just use these US parts---

hammer
trigger
disconnecter

pistol grip

and of course a US buttstock
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
just use these US parts---

hammer
trigger
disconnecter

pistol grip

and of course a US buttstock

+1 this is easiest. If you want to be super safe, add a US made handguard, and you are plenty good. Stamped MAKs with no muzzle threads have 15 countable parts, so you only need to replace 5. 6 is a little extra insurance if you wish.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks folks.  I am, however, a little more confused now.
I thought the US part count did not matter.  I thought it was only the
foreign made part count that mattered and that the foreign p ark count
had to be ten or less.
Stephen
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 1:47:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks folks.  I am, however, a little more confused now.
I thought the US part count did not matter.  I thought it was only the
foreign made part count that mattered and that the foreign p ark count
had to be ten or less.
Stephen

Yes, no more than 10 foreign parts.

US Made=Not Foreign.  
MAK90 has 15 countable parts, ditch any 5 that gives you the look you like best.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in the same boat you are, my stock cracked. I ordered a Romanian side folder to replace the stock, picked up a US made pistol grip, a G2 FCG, and installed US made mag followers in all my magazines. This gave me the 5 US parts I needed.

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking for the black synthetic AR look.
What do you folks recommend for the fore-end?
Also, what do you recommend for a collapsible stock?
Looking to hear good brand names and where to buy for best price.
Not looking to spend a lot of money.  
I'm thinking in the $200 range for a collapsible stock, forearm/handguards, pistol grip,
G2 TCG & gas piston.  Am I realistic?
What are your thoughts on the Erog grip?
Thanks again,
Stephen
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with the USA mag followers and USA base plates. 2 easy parts for like $8/mag. USA grip, and a G2 group.

Buy a euro block folder, the tapco ones arent very sturdy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#11]
For your $200 budget, you can have a 922 compliant rifle that you'll like.
You may check here for some of the parts you're looking for.
I'd stay away from doiong the magazine parts though, much easier in the long run to do the rifle parts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]
i read this post twice  and never saw if the OP's rifle had a strait receiver or the slant cut if it is slant cut his options diminish.

2D2C
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone.  Seems a consensus across AK forums that Tapco stocks are
not the way to go.  I don't want to use the mag parts for compliance.
I want to be able to buy more mags and use any mag.

height=8
Quoted:
i read this post twice  and never saw if the OP's rifle had a strait receiver or the slant cut if it is slant cut his options diminish.
2D2C

Straight receiver.

I went with parts from Blackjack Buffers, because his prices are decent, his descriptions are better written, and his writings have a more frank and honest feel.

I went with a collapsible CAR stock and adapter, $55.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=231&zenid=12e7aad41c6e6756bd2dd205db418500
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=233&zenid=12e7aad41c6e6756bd2dd205db418500

This pistol grip/forearm set, $71.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_combo_info&cPath=84&products_id=695&zenid=12e7aad41c6e6756bd2dd205db418500

Double hook FCG, $35.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=471&zenid=12e7aad41c6e6756bd2dd205db418500

Gas Piston, $25.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=242&zenid=12e7aad41c6e6756bd2dd205db418500

And just for fun, this muzzle brake, $25.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=358&zenid=12e7aad41c6e6756bd2dd205db418500

Total with shipping was about $220.
Thank you very much everyone for your help.
I'll check back and let you know my impressions of Blackjack's parts and service.

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
The odds U being checked for this parts are going to be less then U winning the lottery.  I have some US parts that are not even marked so how would they even know?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
How many of those items you bought off blackjack buffers site are US compliance parts?  I can tell you the buttstock is Chinese/Leapers.  Won't matter if the FCG, muzzle device, piston, handguards and pistol grip are US.

A K-VAR US handguard would have been a better choice.

Mak -- thanks for raising the flag.  Being partially brain dead, I assumed the stock was US made.  What do you mean by your last sentence?

Thanks,
Stephen
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
How many of those items you bought off blackjack buffers site are US compliance parts?  I can tell you the buttstock is Chinese/Leapers.  Won't matter if the FCG, muzzle device, piston, handguards and pistol grip are US.

A K-VAR US handguard would have been a better choice.

Wow, I am impressed with Blackjack.  I thought this was going to turn into the usual Internet return nightmare.  At 7:30pm this Sunday evening, after having already placed my order online yesterday, I sent an email to them.  I received an email back at 8:31pm, wherein Mr. Sloan verified the CAR stock and Sure-grip set were not US made.
He said he would hold the order until I decided what to do.  We arranged that he ship the US made portion of the order and cancel the non-US made.

Just thought I'd share.  Thumbs up to Blackjack for making the order adjustment easy.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
Stamped receiver you need 6 US compliance parts if you thread the barrel and use a muzzle device. The pistol grip and handguards you ordered look like cheap rubber parts.  I could see the rubber handguard deforming from heat if you fire large amounts of ammo rapidly.  I don't see anything on the site that the handguards and pistol grip are US made parts.  The K-VAR set is US and I can tell by looking at that stuff you bought that it is of lower quality and higher price.

US FCG-3 parts
US pistol grip-1 part
US piston-1 part
US muzzle device-1 part

this would give you the 6 required US parts if these are US made.

I don't think the US pistol grip helps me as this MAK had no pistol grip before.
It had the thumbhole stock.  If I do everything you say and add a foreign made stock, my 922r foreign part count will total 11.  Where is my thinking going wrong?

Thanks for your advice, Mak, you really are helping me out.

Stephen
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#21]
You don't have a muzzle device, there fore your maximum foreign content can only be 15.  HTS for 3, PG for 1, and handguards for 1.  15-5, leaves you 10 foreign parts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
You don't have a muzzle device, there fore your maximum foreign content can only be 15.  HTS for 3, PG for 1, and handguards for 1.  15-5, leaves you 10 foreign parts.

To beat this horse one more time....then you can start beating me.  have
I guess the better question is....Is the orginal thumbhole stock considered to be a single part or does it count as two parts;   a pistol grip and a shoulder stock for 922r purposes?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
Don't worry about the number of foreign parts.

Okay.  I get it now.  Some other web site said to not worry abou the US part count,
to only get the foreign part count to ten or below.

BTW, my MAK's muzzle is already threaded.

Mak, what are you doing up so late?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Another idea - some MAC90/NHM90 rifles had Bishop USA stocks and HG's. If the upper part is ok - they make a great normal stock with a better LOP. Just cut and sand, they take up the Russian Red color very well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, I'm almost done.  Actually, I'm all done except I am awaiting delivery of an AK-74 type muzzle brake.  I'll post pics when it arrives.
Thanks again for your help.

Okay.  Ignore this whole section.  It was rounds in the mag after all.
Nother questions though.  I'm not sure if this existed before I made changes.
Last night, I swapped out the stock FCG for a US FCG.
After finishing and inserting a full mag, I noticed the sound of a small piece of metal rattling around.  This occurs when I tip the gun's muzzle up or down from a horizontal position.  It only occurs when the mag is inserted.  It does not occur when the mag is removed and the mag itself has no rattle on its own.  Is this a normal AK think or did I mess something up while installing the FCG?  The action cycles normally and the trigger and safety seem to operate normally.

BTW, Optimak is amazing in terms of customer service and super fast, low priced shipping.  Ordered from them twice.  They charged only $6 for shipping and shipped USPS express.  Each time I had the part well within 48 hours of ordering.  They were very responsive and attentive to some questions I had too.

Good customer service from Blackjack Buffers too.  Slow and expensive shipping though.

Thanks,
Stephen
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top