Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 3:36:08 PM EDT
I have never tried it before, I just gave a few of my mags a good cleaning with a degreaser and some had a little surface rust...I used a little steel wool and took care of it.....now I think I want to maybe refinish them....have never tried this before.

I am looking for something fast, cheap, but durable......gimme your ideas   thanks :)
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard engine manifold paint works well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
re blue them? or paint with hi temp BBQ paint to be cheap and fast.
Or send them to me,, and ill  make sure they never rust
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL protus, after the list of stuff you typed that you have for bug out situations you need more of my mags??!!!  you should be hooking me up man

ok so engine manifold paint...and BBQ paint...I am assuming from a home depot or auto parts store?   just spray on and forget it?  or does it go in the oven?

I just want something easy that I can do, if I want a really good professional job I send it out lol and I am not spending money to refinish mags....so I have to be able to do this myself

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
rustoleum flat black.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
LOL protus, after the list of stuff you typed that you have for bug out situations you need more of my mags??!!!  you should be hooking me up man

ok so engine manifold paint...and BBQ paint...I am assuming from a home depot or auto parts store?   just spray on and forget it?  or does it go in the oven?

I just want something easy that I can do, if I want a really good professional job I send it out lol and I am not spending money to refinish mags....so I have to be able to do this myself

IMHO if your sending your mags out to get "finished" you aint shooting it LOL. i mean really for show  justkeep one new mag,, the rest  use them.

black spary paint will work fine, just de-grease, dry, paint.
if they are blued mags (like the yugos etc) just de-grease and re-blue.
if there is rust  get some 000 steel wool, polish them, and re-blue.

sorry im not fancy, and havent re finished any mag  iver ever owned....
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I used Rustoliem BBQ paint.  Cleaned them, painted and put in the oven at 300 for an hour.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#7]
lol not trust me I am shooter......just for some reason I figured I would try it with these mags.....just another project
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive done 40 mags this way and 2 years later theyre still looking great. 0000 Steel wool, toothbrush, 2 can carbcleaner, 2 can matte finish yard iron furniture enamel and lots of newspaper for clean wipe and lay down. Disassemble mags, go at it. No bake, just left alone for 2 days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I took some 0000 steel wool to a couple of mags this weekend and it worked great on one (the other is still a little rough... might get some coarser steel wool).  It takes a little elbow grease to get down in the cracks, but looks great once you're done.

I'm wondering if a dremel/foredom with a buffing wheel would work better at getting down in the cracks, but that's just raw speculation at this point.

I haven't gotten around to refinishing yet (I don't mind a little of a worn look, personally), but I figure I'll just cold-blue the mags if it ever comes down to that.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top