Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/27/2007 11:52:25 PM EDT
Does anyone have their STG yet? How do they look? Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump..

Doesn't anyone have one of these yet?
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine, SWEET!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like mine, SWEET!!!!

Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Just picked mine up yesterday.  I can't post pics yet, since it's sort of back in the box for return shipment.  I have a small problem with mine that they'll hopefully fix.  If they won't fix it, I'll post the details.  I'll give them a chance to make it right first, though.    IO said they didn't want to fix it - send it back to AIM Surplus for an exchange.    Luckily, Bryan at AIM is super-cool and is okay with this (and very rapid on the email responses).

It's my first AK, and I love the way it feels and shoots.  I'll be super happy once I get it back from IO AIM Surplus.  

First impressions:

(1) The furniture feels good, but the handguards don't have heat shields and are REALLY close to the gas tube and barrel.  I didn't shoot it enough to get it too hot, but I can imagine it will get hot on the handguards.  It looks and feels awesome, though.

(2) The action is smooth and shoots great.  Just be sure you clean it when you get it out of the box (duh, I know), since they have it greased to protect it.

(3) The East German sling feels great, and I don't need to swap to the 3-pt I was going to use.  The handguards are held on at the front by a collar around the gas tube and the barrel that has a pin that sticks through behind the FSB and out a hole in the other side of the collar.  The pin against the FSB keeps the collar from going forward, and the handguards keep it from coming backward.  The pin has an eyelet loop (like a hole, not a slot) on the end for the sling to clip in.  I thought AKs had fixed sling loops that were slots like SKSs, but I guess not.

(4) The flash hider kicks ass over a muzzle brake like most AKs have.  It appears 100% to be an AR15/M16 A2 flash hider that's just threaded on with a crush washer behind it.  IO says they put paste on to keep it on tight, and you can remove it, but it takes some cranking.  I don't plan to take it off anyway.  My AR muzzle caps fit it perfectly, and it looks nice.

(5) It's lighter than any AR I've ever built (including super-lights).  This means it has a bit of muzzle rise and kick, but woopdeedoo.    I prefer it light for carrying.

(6) The Promag 30rd mag it came with looks black in the pics online like the other five I bought before the STG arrived, but it's actually one of the smoke/clear ones.  I haven't used it yet, as I already had the black ones loaded and used one of those.  The mags do wobble side to side, but they feel like they are not coming out, and it loaded/shot perfectly every time I shot it.  It had decent groupings (like 3-5 MOA) with Golden Tiger FMJs from AIM.

(7) It has a nice military cleaning kit with it, but where's the cleaning rod?

I can't wait to get it back and shoot the crap out of it.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
EDIT:   Guess I killed the thread.  No sense in wasting photo bucket bandwidth or space.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top