Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2007 6:52:38 AM EDT
I hadn't seen a thread about this here and I wanted everyone to see it.

outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

it disgusted me and i immediately emailed Remington and OL

be warned.. the comments are stacking up and will take a second to load now.
lots of people are angry.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I hadn't seen a thread about this here and I wanted everyone to see it.

outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

it disgusted me and i immediately emailed Remington and OL

be warned.. the comments are stacking up and will take a second to load now.
lots of people are angry.

Thanks for the link!!!

I knew that there was a reason why I canceled my subscription to Outdoor Life last year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]
repost my brother,but by all means,please email the outdoor chanel and remington
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Zumbo put out this a little while ago:

I was wrong, BIG TIME
Someone once said that to err is human. I just erred, and made without question, the biggest blunder in my 42 years of writing hunting articles.

My blog inflamed legions of people I love most..... hunters and shooters. Obviously, when I wrote that blog, I activated my mouth before engaging my brain.

Let me explain the circumstances surrounding that blog. I was hunting coyotes, and after the hunt was over and being beat up by 60 mph winds all day, I was discussing hunting with one of the young guides. I was tired and exhausted, and I should have gone to bed early. When the guide told me that there was a "huge" following of hunters who use AR 15's and similar weapons to hunt prairies dogs, I was amazed. At that point I wrote the blog, and never thought it through.

Now then, you might not believe what I have to say, but I hope you do. How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them.

I never intended to be devisive, and I certainly believe in United we Stand, Divided we Fall. I've been an NRA member for 40 years, have attended 8 national NRA conventions in the last 10 years, and I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance which actively fights anti-hunters and animal rights groups for hunter's rights.

What really bothers me are some of the unpatriotic comments leveled at me. I fly the flag 365 days a year in my front yard. Last year, through an essay contest, I hosted a soldier wounded in Iraq to a free hunt in Botswana. This year, through another essay contest, I'm taking two more soldiers on a free moose and elk hunt.

When I started blogging, I was told to write my thoughts, expressing my own opinion. The offensive blog I wrote was MY opinion, and no one else's. None of the companies that I deal with share that opinion, nor were they aware of what I had written until this firestorm started.

Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up. And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth.

February 18, 2007
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
like I give a shit about his half assed apology. It doesnt matter if he says he 'made a mistake'. It is obvious from what he said that isnt a true friend of the 2nd amendment. He can say its because he is 'ignorant' or doesnt know alot about 'those' types of firearms. Big deal. I don't know jack about level actions, that doesnt mean I'll generalize and say somthing stupid about them. Fuck this guy, he can go ahead and keep is 'sporting firearms'. Just wait till politicians start miscalling them sniper rifles like he incorrectly called them assault rifles, and lets see what kind of legislation starts getting proposed. This guy can go jump off a bridge as far as I'm cocerned.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]

I posted his reply so people could read it.I DON'T Endorse it or forgive the asshat.
The Brady bunch will be quoting him for years and years.

I hope Remington and Outdoor Life fire him NEXT WEEK..
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The fact that he said certain rifles should be banned from "praries and woods" tells what kind of person Zumbo is. He can keep his bullshit damage control apology.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like comments my father made a couple of years ago.  He owns Ruger Vaquero's and Winchester lever actions, but said those "Godd..n assault rifles should all be banned."  We had a nice chat about "assault" rifles and by the end of the conversation, he had a better understanding of the subject.  His opinion, like Zumbo's, was based not only on inexperience, but what he'd heard on the nightly news.  It is possible to educate this guy, too, but Selectfire is right:  the anti's will quote him until the end of time.  No matter what opinion Jim Zumbo has in a few months from now, the damage has been done.

Shame, too.  I knew his daughter, Judy, back in college--she and her husband were two of my very best friends(until she went nuts, took their child, and ran off).
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
img62.imageshack.us/img62/7005/dumbosblogoq6.png

I posted his reply so people could read it.I DON'T Endorse it or forgive the asshat.
The Brady bunch will be quoting him for years and years.

I hope Remington and Outdoor Life fire him NEXT WEEK..

And thank you for posting it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The Brady people are all over this one, his irresponsible "Blog" will come back to haunt us all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny how the jackass only mentioned AR-15s in his apology. I guess he is still too good for the AK crowd.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
So far Remington Arms responded.
www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=658706
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 2:02:40 AM EDT
[#13]
He's obviously queer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I was on another forum when I heard about the comments by Zumbo. I immediately wrote to Remington Arms at their web site. I wondered which of my Remingtons I should turn in from the 1908 Mod 8 semi-auto assault rifle, all of the 870's and 1100's, and the 700's with aaaaaaaahhh! , sniper scopes on em.
That was yesterday morning, he driveled pathetically by noon, and was fired by morning. What a great tool this thing is....and thank you for the heads up to everyone out there.

Thank you for your service to our country...and protecting the second amendment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#16]
REMINTON JUST DUMPED HIS ASS BRAVO REMINGTON BRAVO!!!!!!
Remington Press Release
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Way to go  REMINGTON !!!!
What a D bag!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am a bit surprised that Remington acted so quickly and decisively, they always seemed to be to be a bit stodgy and stalwart, not really caring much about EBRs one way or another.

I guess it goes to show that anybody with a flicker of sense realize that the walnut and deep blueing crowd is killing us with thier apathy towards weapons that they don't own.

This press release from Remington just confimed that I'll be purchasing a Remington 700 this week. At least they have the FUCKING BALLS (unlike his other sponsors) to act quick and decisive...hat's off to Remington & Mr. Tommy Millner

Remington--><--Mr. Dickhead

Cheers,

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Truly it is sad,

I have read "Zumbo" for years and have enjoyed many of his writings, that being said, unfortunately a few of his opinions mirror many of the "sportsmen" members of my gun club.

By now most of them know me as the big bastard that shoots AK's down at the range.

Yes, that would be me, not only AK's,AR's, 91's etc.. I also enjoy fine sporting arms, that is why I help with the sporting clays range, in addition I do not currently own a bow, yet help maintain the 3D walk thru course.

Some of these guys just don't get it, it is not only old guys there are quite a few young guys I run into at the range that ask, "what do you need that for?"

Some I try to reason with, some I can just tell by the look in thier eye that they don't care and are looking for an argument, so yea I give it to em.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#22]
The original blog has been pulled.   Here is a link to the cached version.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:jDZ0K76hUJUJ:outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html+%22outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Zumbo should be old enough to remember that muskets were used for fighting,self defense and hunting..so much for military arms being seperate...maybe one day theyll label his scoped bolt action a sniper rifle...how can that comment be foot in mouth...hes only sorry cause his career ended faster than michael richards from seinfeld did...its not a mistake what came out is the way he believes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Now you have this guy from Field&Stream!  

fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/2007/02/zumbomania_part.html
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top