Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2007 11:48:36 AM EDT
I am looking to get and AK-74.  I live in CT so it has to be 5.45 caliber and ban compliant.  Who is the best to order one from.  How is Ohio Ordinance?  Are there others I should consider?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were you I'd look around for an Arsenal SLR-105.

ETA: If I really were you I'd move
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If I were you I'd look around for an Arsenal SLR-105.

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#3]
WASR 2 will be cheap

the best? proably Arsenal or AKUSA
Link Posted: 2/9/2007 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Chris Butler at AK USA or Krebs Custom.

G
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey RJT1 Where in Conn are you? I've been thinking about selling my Bulgie AK74 clone built by AK-USA. PM me
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget JNewt!  Ken at www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com is also good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel your pain...
I had the same problem so I got one built from Red Stick...
Ban compliant Russian AK in 5.56 that takes Bulgy Mags, what more could you ask for.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I feel your pain...
I had the same problem so I got one built from Red Stick...
Ban compliant Russian AK in 5.56 that takes Bulgy Mags, what more could you ask for.

Freedom. Or is that to much to ask for?
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
AKUSA is top notch I have one of there builds. I love it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree it sucks, however I cannot move so I have to deal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
AKUSA is top notch I have one of there builds. I love it.

I have a 74 built by Chris, and it is beautiful. He charges a lot, but his rifles are amazing.

Other than AKUSA, I'd suggest MCA (been hearing awesome things about them) or Marc Krebs. As CJFirefly said, also check out Ken at Global Gunsmithing. He's a nice guy and he does good work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Other than AKUSA, I'd suggest MCA (been hearing awesome things about them) or Marc Krebs.

Unfortunately, Krebs stopped working on customers' rifles a couple years back, in order to focus strictly on production of complete rifles and custom parts.

As CJFirefly said, also check out Ken at Global Gunsmithing. He's a nice guy and he does good work.

+1 (or would it be 2?); he did an excellent job on my AK-105.

Link Posted: 2/19/2007 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am looking to get and AK-74.  I live in CT so it has to be 5.45 caliber and ban compliant.  Who is the best to order one from.  How is Ohio Ordinance?  Are there others I should consider?  

Whatever you do DON'T BUY FROM OHIO RAPID FIRE! they are scam artist.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And why are they scam artists?
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought an AK47 there and took it to the range, within a hundred rounds the flash suppresser flew(it was welded on). The mag that came with it wouldn't feed properly. I called them to see if they would fix the problem and they said they would call me back, they never did. I had it fixed by a gunsmith and looked it over and said I got ripped off. I wouldn't have cared so much that it flew off, I just cared they wouldn't take care of me. I spent a lot of money that day, I bought the AK(which was over priced) ammo, cleaning kits, and was gonna buy extra mags but they didn't have any. All their AK's were over priced. They suck!
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought an AK47 there and took it to the range, within a hundred rounds the flash suppresser flew(it was welded on). The mag that came with it wouldn't feed properly. I called them to see if they would fix the problem and they said they would call me back, they never did. I had it fixed by a gunsmith and looked it over and said I got ripped off. I wouldn't have cared so much that it flew off, I just cared they wouldn't take care of me. I spent a lot of money that day, I bought the AK(which was over priced) ammo, cleaning kits, and was gonna buy extra mags but they didn't have any. All their AK's were over priced. They suck!

Sucks to here but there are always two sides to a story. What rifle did you buy and how much was it? You say it was over priced but why did you buy it? Did you call back after the first call? I can see where message between a sales person and the builders and or management could be lost. Not trying to be a ass, just curious.

The original poster mentioned "Ohio Ordinance", there are better options available than the OOW reciever. Look for one built on a Nodak or Armory USA.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#17]
My $.02. Best AK builder, AK-USA or Marshall Arms but they also charge a ton for a build. You could say they are not the working mans builders...lol...
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sucks to here but there are always two sides to a story. What rifle did you buy and how much was it? You say it was over priced but why did you buy it? Did you call back after the first call? I can see where message between a sales person and the builders and or management could be lost. Not trying to be a ass, just curious.

The original poster mentioned "Ohio Ordinance", there are better options available than the OOW reciever. Look for one built on a Nodak or Armory USA.

It is a wasr 10, I paid 350 plus tax. That’s a little over priced for that gun, but I didn't know at the time. I didn't know a lot about AK's at the time( and still and always will learn more) and they took advantage of that. I have a friend with a wasr 10 and he has had no problems with it. I when I looked at the gun before I bought it, I thought it looked like a wasr 10,you know, not a real beautiful gun, but functions well. I found one rust spot on it and they said it was the only one and that I could scrub it out. when I got home and took it apart I found a lot more rust spots on it. I thought no problem I'll just scrub it out, some more fun. I went to the range and within a hundred rounds the flash suppresser flew off. That was embarrassing. the mag they sold me wouldn’t feed out of a full mag, I could only put about 25 rounds in it. I bought 2 mags from my friend and another from the local shop and they worked fine. When I called them I talked to one of the guys that sold me the gun and he said he would definitely call me back the same day,  and he never did. He and his buddy that sold me the gun are also the builders so how could they  "lose the message"? He wasn't the only one I talked to either, I talked to a women before him and told her the same thing. Everybody there knew they took advantage of me and ripped me off, and they didn't want to help me so they didn't call me back. also when I said over priced I meant generally on everything they have, I looked at some of the other AK's they have and they are the same price you would pay for something like a Vepr, only not as good. I would have went back if they didn't take advantage of me and tried to help me out, but because they didn't, I wont spend anymore of my money there again. I don't know about Ohio Ordinance but if your going to buy something out of Ohio I got a guys number that does excellent work on AK's and ar15's, and what ever else you want, and he can order whatever you want, all at good prices, and he will help you all the way, if you know a lot or not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a wasr 10, I paid 350 plus tax. That’s a little over priced for that gun, but I didn't know at the time. I didn't know a lot about AK's at the time( and still and always will learn more) and they took advantage of that. I have a friend with a wasr 10 and he has had no problems with it. I when I looked at the gun before I bought it, I thought it looked like a wasr 10,you know, not a real beautiful gun, but functions well. I found one rust spot on it and they said it was the only one and that I could scrub it out. when I got home and took it apart I found a lot more rust spots on it. I thought no problem I'll just scrub it out, some more fun. I went to the range and within a hundred rounds the flash suppresser flew off. That was embarrassing. the mag they sold me wouldn’t feed out of a full mag, I could only put about 25 rounds in it. I bought 2 mags from my friend and another from the local shop and they worked fine. When I called them I talked to one of the guys that sold me the gun and he said he would definitely call me back the same day,  and he never did. He and his buddy that sold me the gun are also the builders so how could they  "lose the message"? He wasn't the only one I talked to either, I talked to a women before him and told her the same thing. Everybody there knew they took advantage of me and ripped me off, and they didn't want to help me so they didn't call me back. also when I said over priced I meant generally on everything they have, I looked at some of the other AK's they have and they are the same price you would pay for something like a Vepr, only not as good. I would have went back if they didn't take advantage of me and tried to help me out, but because they didn't, I wont spend anymore of my money there again. I don't know about Ohio Ordinance but if your going to buy something out of Ohio I got a guys number that does excellent work on AK's and ar15's, and what ever else you want, and he can order whatever you want, all at good prices, and he will help you all the way, if you know a lot or not.

Ya, that does suck big time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#20]
The is only one AK Smith for my money and that"s AKUSA. Chris's work is second to none and his finish is very high quality. I can afford the best so I go to the best.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The is only one AK Smith for my money and that"s AKUSA. Chris's work is second to none and his finish is very high quality. I can afford the best so I go to the best.

If you have the funds (and time) try Marshall. I am sure you have seen pics of his work.

Like I said though, in my opinion, AK-USA and Marshall Arms are the king daddys but they are also out of most working mans (AK owners) price range. What does AK-USA charge for a build? Last I heard was around $800. Marshall Arms, who knows...lol... Guess its one of those deals if you have to ask, you cant afford it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 for MCA

For my money you can't beat Missouri Custom Arms for AK builds. Great work and a great price. Some of the best guys I have had do custom builds. They are building my thrid AK as we speak.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Supr,
If you were here local, why did you not just bring it in?  I am not sure who you talked to, but it would have been handled and fixed for you.  $350 for one of our WASRs when we sold them is a good price, not a rip off.  Over priced on my products, don't think so, I am inline with many on the same items, most are less.

Todd@ORF

I live about an hour north of you, I should be able to call you and you take care of me. If you guys would have called me back I would have come in. Because you didn't take care of me I will not spend any of my money with you and nor will any of my friends, and I will advise anyone else not to also. I was in sales for two years and the bottom line to keep costumers coming back is costumers service, which I got none of from you.

Also $350 is not a good price, Im going to put a link below for you and anyone else to cut and past. It's a link to Vances in Columbus and they have AK's  for $339 with two 30 round clips, and it doesn't say on the flyer but it usually comes with a case and slant muzzle brake for it to(at least every time I have went their). They also have another one for $379 with two 30 round clips ammo pouch, sling and cleaning kit and I believe the bayo that’s pictured. From you guys I got the AK one 30 round clip(that didn't work properly if I put more than 25 rounds in it), a cleaning kit and case for almost $400. The pawn shop next door to Vances had a MAK 90 with a case and 30 rounder for $350. Also I know a dealer that sales AK's in super great condition for $300 all day long, he doesn't have a website but I got his number, in fact he is the one who fixed that POS you sold me. I know ammo fluctuates but you were selling cases of wolf ammo for I believe $225 give or take. I bought a case of the same stuff a week later from another dealer for $175.  Also look at the flyer for vances they have a underfolder for $479 you tried to sell me one for $800. I also looked at some of the ak74 you guys had for $600, they were not worth it, they didn't even look as good as the $300 dollar AK's my dealer sells. For the price you are asking for them someone could buy a good looking AK that can actually hit something. Your saying your not overpriced, yeah right.

Maybe if you guys took good care of me I would have come back to you for my next AK, and bought one of your overpriced guns, I would be thinking I could trust you guys because you would take care of me. But because you guys screwed me I'm buying a Vepr instead.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/documents/flyer/flyer.pdf
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Red Jacket does good work and they stand behind their product.  Atlantic carries some of their offerings.  Good choice if the AK USA ones are too pricey for ya.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Just curious but when did Ohio Rapid Fire begin manufacturing WASR rifles?

Aren't they Romanian imports?

Usually when you purchase a firearm and have issues that should be warrantied the firearm has to go back to the maker/importer.

Maybe you should have called Century (the importer )and explained the problem to them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Honesty- $350 for a WASR is NOT a rip off. It isn't the best price around, but certainly not the highest. If I were buying a WASR, $350 is a price I'd be willing to pay. Shops around me have them for $419. Atlantic  has a WASR with $40 worth of extras for $439.

You complain that you can find all these better buys after you bought the rifle from ORF. Why didn't you shop around BEFORE you bought the rifle from ORF?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
All I’m saying is they could have at least called me back and said no theirs nothing we can do for you,  you have to call century,  here’s their number.  Instead they blew me off, they didn’t care because they already had my money.

Maybe where your from $350 is not a bad price.  Around here everyone else I have found has got them for less than $350.  Cut and past the link I set up on the other post and check them out, from what I found the deals they have are just average.  I did shop around before I bought from them, in fact I was at a gun show and a guy mentioned them and said that they would take care of me, that’s why I didn’t buy one at the show.  I figured if something was wrong with the rifle they would help me out.  Iif they would’ve helped me out paying an extra $50 on a rifle would have been worth it.  I wasn’t just looking for a rifle, I was  looking for a piece of mind, that way if I had a question or problem they would take care of me regardless of anything else.  It’s not just about the price, it’s about customer satisfaction. They took advantage of my lack of knowledge of AK’s and that’s how they ripped me off.

Tgrove,

It’s too late to call you, I already tried that four months ago.  How many times should someone have to contact you to get help? You guys should’ve helped me then. Besides what are you going to do, I already got it fixed, are you going to give me the money back for the work I had done on it, money back for  the rifle?

For everyone else who keeps making up excuses, go ahead buy a rifle from them, then I can say I told you so.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#30]
MCA Custom arms is the place you want to deal with. They have A+ customer service. Ask me how I know!

Sorry got a little carried away with the buttons. Couldn't just push one, it looked so lonely.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#31]
AK USA or see if Tromix will build what you want.  Simply the best and easiest way to go.  You will never have a problem with them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top