Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/24/2007 2:52:41 PM EDT
The ak bug really bit me and i've already got an slr105a1 on the way along with 2000 rds of ammo and 15 mags.....but I really am thinking of picking up an slr106fr as well.  Can anyone talk me into or out of one?  Looking for good feedback from people with experience with these rifles.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote no.  Personally I don't see the attraction of 5.56 AKs.  If I were you I would get another 5.45 AK or stock up on more mags and ammo while they are available and CHEAP.  Sorry, no personal experience with the 106s so my opinion don't mean squat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I went thru the same dilema about a month ago, ended up with both and never looked back. the only issues I have with the 106 is that it made me want the same folding stock on my 105, and the trigger is not the usual ak feel, not worse, not better, just different.

the biggest thing that may sway your decision is that the 5.45 round is plentiful right now, but who knows in 6 months.
the 5.56 round will probably always be available, even if price puts it out of the reach of mere mortals, it will still be around. 5.45 all depends on overseas production and if its legal in the states.

recoil on the two rifles are almost identical, as well as fit and function (aside from the folder). I ended up buying a bunch of dedicated clear mags for the 106, but im told the 5.45 mags with a little bit of massaging work great, and those are cheap.

I also couldnt get the 106 out of my head as far as a must have, no idea why??? but I do have it and I really have no regrets about it. plus I can share ammo with my ar and my hk53
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
+1...get both.  They're both different but great rifles with alot of personality.

CMS
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1...get both.  They're both different but great rifles with alot of personality.

CMS

+2 got both, love both.
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely get one.  I love mine.  Nothing wrong with having a 5.56mm AK in your Arsenal.  If you have PDF format, maybe this will convince you:

www.arsenalinc.com/articles/slr106/slr106.pdf
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes get one. Having a great rifle in a common american caliber that you can get ammo for at about every sporting goods store around is a good idea period.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#8]
SilentMark,

I'm jumping on board with the others - definitely...buy one now that they're available! Remember, this is a "Limited Production" rifle from Arsenal. Essentially, once the supply stops, the price & demand is only going to increase. Moreover, who know's what's going to happen in 2008 with the elections - I hope I'm wrong but, I believe the ASSHOLES...I mean liberals will be gaining controlhttp://www.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/realmad.gif. My motto is - it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

http://www.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/2cents.gif

Sakic #19 http://www.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/xyxnervous.gif  
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I like mine 106 so much I dumped my M4 since they were equal in accuracy.  The 106 has Steyr tecnology hammer forged chrome lined barrels with a 1in7 twist; so you can shoot the heavier bullets and with 5.56 you can get match ammo.

The argument that 5.56 is not an AK caliber is rather banal.  It's like saying a Winchester Model 70 should only be in 30.06 or only 5.56 in an AR.

The only change I did was install a Bulgarian flash hider.  It has a closed bottom section like some AR birdcage FHs and does help reduce muzzle climb and is much quieter than the brake,

Have fun.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SilentMark,

I'm jumping on board with the others - definitely...buy one now that they're available! Remember, this is a "Limited Production" rifle from Arsenal. Essentially, once the supply stops, the price & demand is only going to increase. Moreover, who know's what's going to happen in 2008 with the elections - I hope I'm wrong but, I believe the ASSHOLES...I mean liberals will be gaining controlwww.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/realmad.gif. My motto is - it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

www.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/2cents.gif

Sakic #19 www.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/xyxnervous.gif  

And remember, the moment they restart production, the bottom falls out of the value of used ones.  The limited production runs are due more to limited production capacity and the inability to make multiple lines at once.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#11]
If I could only get one, I would seriously consider a SAM5 instead. They don't have the cool folding stock, but a milled 5.56 AK with RPK sights is pretty dang slick. I hate the plastic furniture on mine, but that is about to change...
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SilentMark,

I'm jumping on board with the others - definitely...buy one now that they're available! Remember, this is a "Limited Production" rifle from Arsenal. Essentially, once the supply stops, the price & demand is only going to increase. Moreover, who know's what's going to happen in 2008 with the elections - I hope I'm wrong but, I believe the ASSHOLES...I mean liberals will be gaining controlwww.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/realmad.gif. My motto is - it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

www.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/2cents.gif

Sakic #19 www.warrifles.com/forums/images/smilies/xyxnervous.gif  

I like Arsenal's rifles and have owned a few, but their "limited production" spiel is just total bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#13]
i am on the fence about a SLR 106

i would like to add another AR to the stable, parts and mag commonality would be nice

but i want to try out a AK too and this one looks pretty nice

how much do good magazines for the SLR 106 typically cost?
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
^
Dedicated Mags for the 106 are about  $25.00-35.00/ea.

Converted Mags are $9.00-15.00/ea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#15]
wondering as well. can't decide if i should just save $300 and get an SAR3 instead. not that worried about looks, more worried about function anyway...........
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 4:37:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got about $400 in each of these SAR3's, and they are both great shooters. Mags are getting kind of pricy, but so are the mags for the Bulgy 5.56's. The SAR3 is actually a pretty darn good option. I refinished both of them with Molyresin, rented the thread kit, and put Polish furniture on one, and a folder on the other one.

These are great guns for the money but I do like my SAM5 better. I went with the 5.56AK's instead of the 5.45's. I have a few AR's and wanted to keep the different types of ammo down to a minimum. Of course, I also have a "few" 7.62 AK's as well.

Link Posted: 1/26/2007 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I handled a FR at a show last weekend. Looked nice had a nice feel to it, and stock was a good idea,, but it really didnt give me any big impressions, looked just like another ak to me. Now if it was a 5.45, i would have bought it lol, but a 5.56ak,  with me having 3 ars, just doesnt make me interested.  If u dont have an ar, or just love 5.56 rifles, go for it, but ill wait a while, im sure theyll come out with a newer 5.45 rifle sometime in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently bought a slr106fr from arsenal. The accuracy and reliability are what you would expect from an AK. In fact accuracy was better than any of the other AK I've owned. Now on the down side. the fit of the muzzle brake and gas tube are not good. the brake was machined badly in the area of the retaining pin slot and has a fair amount of wobble. The gas tube is almost two millimeters short. The short gas tube allows the head of the gas piston to impact the inner ridges of the tube during every firing cycle. I contacted Arsenal and Glenn informed me that that is "within spec and is normal on aks". I have owned Norinco, Polytech, Maadi, Yugo, Hungarian and Russian (Saiga) aks and have never seen a two millimeter gap at the front of the gas tube. In reality a rifle with a 800 to 850 dollar price point should be better than minimal acceptable "spec". With a one year warranty if there is a problem I will have it corrected as needed. Just my opinion.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top