Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 6:11:27 AM EDT
I am refinishing the wood on my WASR-10.  I was able to remove all the wood OK, but this morning when I tried to put it back on I had some problems.  The wooden piece that is on the gas tube sounded like it was starting to crack as I twisted it back on.  I backed it out, and just stood there helpless -- now it is just sitting on my workbench waiting for a resolution...

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Lubricate it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
brilliant.  What's that about the most obvious solution or something?

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
brilliant.  What's that about the most obvious solution or something?

Apparently not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I was referring to the old saying The most obvious solution is often overlooked or something along those lines.  Thanks for the help I will try your suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
i've taken a few different peices of wood off the upper handguard, good luck with  it. i lubbed it up and just took my time. i did start to crack one of them so i just left it on there and refinished it there. that was on the wsar wood. worked out fine enough.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was referring to the old saying The most obvious solution is often overlooked or something along those lines.  Thanks for the help I will try your suggestion.

Sorry.  I read no shit sherlock into it.  

you might also try sanding the ends.

also, sometimes the friction of the wood moving makes it sound like its cracking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Sorry.  I read no shit sherlock into it.

I haven't been around this forum long enough to develop that kind of attitude.  height=8

you might also try sanding the ends.

also, sometimes the friction of the wood moving makes it sound like its cracking.

another good suggestion.  I will try all of this tonight when I put it back together.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Metal retaining clip faces the rear of the gas tube. A couple years ago I was able to get one handguard on with the clip in the front. I wondered at the time why it was so difficult to get on!?!

Was switching out the wood the other day and noticed my error.

Try a little grease between the clip and the tube.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I cracked the wood upper handguard in half on my WASR when I was putting polymer furniture on it. They're pretty flimsy and cheap unfortunately. Lube it up and just be gentle with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I cracked the wood upper handguard in half on my WASR when I was putting polymer furniture on it. They're pretty flimsy and cheap unfortunately. Lube it up and just be gentle with it.

Words to live by.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Go ahead and crack it and then buy a properly made Polish, Russian, or Bulgarian "formed" laminated upper handgaurd.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Go ahead and crack it and then buy a properly made Polish, Russian, or Bulgarian "formed" laminated upper handgaurd.

i like that answer.  the ones carved from 1 piece of wood are just too fragile.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I cracked the wood upper handguard in half on my WASR when I was putting polymer furniture on it. They're pretty flimsy and cheap unfortunately. Lube it up and just be gentle with it. h.gif

Words to live by.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Sho' Nuff.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top