Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/31/2006 10:36:25 AM EDT
I've never bought a rifle online.  I'm thinking about buyin a SAM-5 for around 700.  I know I have to transfer it threw an FFL dealer.  Don't they usually charge 10%?  If so then that plus the tax would put me up to about 800 which is more than I want to spend.  So how do these deals go down?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
the charges are up to the dealer. they usually charge anywhere from $10-$35 total is normal for the transfer fee. find a dealer and call them up to find out what they charge and if they charge tax also.

although i have been to some places that charge way high like "$50 or 10% of retail cost, whatever is more". never used that guy
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]
First off find a local transfer dealer.

It costs 32.50 here to have a gun transfered by a dealer .

10% fee that is ridiculous .

Maybe post in the Hometown forums here and find out what or who is in your area.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Listen to what these guys have said above.  Some FFL guys charge 10%, some a flat fee.  I just bought my first online gun (an SKS) a month ago.  I found a reputable FFL holder to do it for $24+$7.50 background check.  There were FFL holders charging crazy amounts!  One wanted $50+$7.50 background.  No way I was paying $50 for a $160 gun!  Anyway, the moral of the story is to call around.  Call all the local gun stores/gunsmiths/pawn shops.  

EDIT: Almost forgot to add a CRITICAL piece of advice.  Make sure the FFL transferor will let you pay the online gun store yourself and won't charge you taxes.  The FFL guy I went with said that as long as I paid for the gun through the online store, he would not charge sales tax.  Now theoretically, you are suppose to pay the sales tax for online purchases in April when you file your state taxes; however, sometimes you forget or whatever.  At the very least though, it will allow you to postpone the extra $30-40 or so until tax time.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
My dealer, actually a friend that I've know for almost 15 years, charges $25. 10% is bullshit.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
gunsamerica.com has a local FFL search as well -- just type in your area code and a whole list of contacts comes up.

Also, you should ask the vendor to provide some sort of proof that they are legit -- either a (professional looking) website, or some online feedback (gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com or forum or something).  This is just to make sure that they are actually trustworthy.  Since you will (most likely) have to pay first before you receive the product, it is in your best interest to protect yourself.  I use this technique and have had 100% success.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top