Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/28/2006 7:28:02 PM EDT
I purchased a preban norinco aks (type 56) and the receiver has 2 semi-auto positions.  This is the only one that I have seen like this.  Is there anything out of the ordinary about this rifle?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
No, not at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a postban which has three positions:  

Kneeling, prone, and hip.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF?  Now that the 5 year olds have responded, how about someone who knows the answer.   Why does this rifle have 2 semi-auto position markings and other norinco prebans do not?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
let us see a picture please.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Since no one else is helping yet... Ill try, but dont take this as gospel. from what I have read/seen, several have had the full auto makings put on them ( no biggie) and some even got all the full auto stuff before they were revamped for semi to ship the the US. SOme made it in with the third pin hole (covered up with a rivet or something)... those are the ones to worry about. they came in "legally" (sort of) but ATF decided they are machine guns (once a machine gun, always a machine gun) and some are still floating around, Even seen one at Louisville gun show. Stay away form them. It would seem that the chinese grabbed stuff off the lines to keep selling to the US in various stages of being complete rifles to keep making as much money as possible. The selector positions dont mean squat. If it has the extra set of holes you have an issue. It would have to be cut up and rebuilt on a different receiver. Since you dont mention that, I assume you just have the auto selector detent...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks prophet, you bring up exactly what I wanted to know.  I do not know much about chinese aks and know even less about their import history.  I do not physically have the rifle with me at the moment but I can call tomorrow and find out if the 3rd pin has been filled in somehow while I get some pics.  My first concern is if this rifle came like that factory or if some joe did some surgery on it.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
just to reiterate, even filled in third hole is bad... must ahve never... never had the third axis pin hole.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
just to reiterate, even filled in third hole is bad... must ahve never... never had the third axis pin hole.

gotcha
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]
The selector positions dont mean squat?  so can one buy a gun & carve the extra position in?  u know just for grins...

Quoted:
read/seen, several have had the full auto makings put on them ( no biggie) ...The selector positions dont mean squat. ..
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The selector positions dont mean squat?  so can one buy a gun & carve the extra position in?  u know just for grins...

Quoted:
read/seen, several have had the full auto makings put on them ( no biggie) ...The selector positions dont mean squat. ..

Yes, some even fire from it. Two selecor spots, but they both fire semi.

Only MAK90's came in with the 3rd hole riveted over. They did, because when the import ban was getting ready to cut-off the supply of Chinese AK's into the US they scrambled to send over everything they had. So they took military grade Type 56 rifles, and butchered them into MAK90's. They have chinese selector marking(Notches and symbols) And the 3rd axis pin with a rivet plugged in. In Canada you can turn a MG into a semi, but not here.

They were recalled by the ATF after being sent to distributors; so not all of them made it back in to be destroyed. Still find them every so often.
This is what they look like:

Unfortunately, to end up with one and stay out of jail this is what you have to do:

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Why couldn't you just heat up the lettering and get a pair of vise grips or clamps so it doesnt appear to have two selector positions.  It would work but is that legal?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top