Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/17/2006 2:39:21 PM EDT
Dunhams called me saturday and told me my ammo I had a raincheck for was in - wolf 7.62x39 for $2.50/box. I picked up 500 rds and decided to let my boys shoot it up today. The weather was awesome today, about 65 deg though it was a little wet. I brought out the century yugo underfolder, yugo 59/66 and a mosin 91/30 I recently picked up. The favorites of the day seemed to be the 59/66 and the 91/30. The boys just didnt like the underfolder stock. My oldest son Tyler asked to shoot the 91/30. I almost wasnt going to let him because I was worried about the recoil but he talked me into it. It turns out he loved it and the recoil wasnt too bad for him at all. He shot about 40 rds and wanted to shoot more but I had to cut him off so I could get some trigger time. I am seriously considering trading the Yugo underfolder, I am starting to get the AR itch again.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Dunhams called me saturday and told me my ammo I had a raincheck for was in - wolf 7.62x39 for $2.50/box. I picked up 500 rds and decided to let my boys shoot it up today. The weather was awesome today, about 65 deg though it was a little wet. I brought out the century yugo underfolder, yugo 59/66 and a mosin 91/30 I recently picked up. The favorites of the day seemed to be the 59/66 and the 91/30. The boys just didnt like the underfolder stock. My oldest son Tyler asked to shoot the 91/30. I almost wasnt going to let him because I was worried about the recoil but he talked me into it. It turns out he loved it and the recoil wasnt too bad for him at all. He shot about 40 rds and wanted to shoot more but I had to cut him off so I could get some trigger time. I am seriously considering trading the Yugo underfolder, I am starting to get the AR itch again.
www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/merc7.62/2006417152520_Picture%20007.jpg
www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/merc7.62/2006417152713_Picture%20008.jpg
www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/merc7.62/2006417152458_Picture%20006.jpg

Nice looking family!  Regarding the possible trade, (Yugo underfolder) DON'T DO IT!  Get a nice AK in .223!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Merc556, you should post these pics over on the AR discussions side. I started a thread called “What a beautiful sight, Kids and AR’s” Lots of good pics in there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
JBTJ, that is an awesome thread!! I love seeing kids shooting. My dad started me out when I was 5 years old with a remington nylon 66 and I have great memories of going to the range and I hope my kids do too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Way to get em started early.  I wish my dad had taken me out when I was that young.  I think I was 12 before he even let me shoot a .22.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool pics

I feel bad for the kid with the Mosin Nagant though. They hurt!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Merc556, me too, about 5 and the good ole nylon66. Then got a little older about 8 I think and mowed grass till I saved up to buy, and if I remember right a Remington speedmaster .22. Don't really remember the model now. That's been about 40 years ago. I started my boys of with Ruger 10/22's got them all tricked out with aftermarket parts and shooting about 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards. Then when they got to about 9 I let them shoot an AR and that was all it took. They don't want to shoot the Rugers any more. It is kinda nice going to the range and other fathers are there with their boys and shootin .22's and we show up and the boys break out their AR's and start blasting away. And shootin better groups. I tell the other dads it takes time and lots of practice. We go about 2 to 3 times a month. The best times we ever have together are when we go shootin. Can’t wait till my little girls get older.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My little girl likes to go too She prefers the AR and Marlin model 60 though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
No offense, but haven't any of you responsible parents heard of eye protection?  There is no excuse for not wearing it, especially when firing surplus rifles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cool pics

I feel bad for the kid with the Mosin Nagant thought. They hurt!

I thought the same thing but he actually had no problems with recoil and he preferred the mosin to the other rifles I had out there. I think the insulated leather coat acted as sort of a recoil pad. I think if he tried it in a t-shirt he might have felt it quite a bit more. He asked me about getting him a mosin m38 or m44 but those do seem to kick quite a bit more so I told him to stick to the 91/30 for now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No offense, but haven't any of you responsible parents heard of eye protection?  There is no excuse for not wearing it, especially when firing surplus rifles.

Here, is this better?

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL  Is that an RG revolver?  He's definitely going to need the eye protection with that one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Not really sure what that is. I picked it up at a local gun store for $20. It shoots .22 shorts only. Its a good little pistol for $20 and actually locks up tight and shoots straight.
He really likes the Star BM 9mm alot
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Great advise. It was the first thing I thought of when I looked at the pics. Nice looking shooters you got there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Good for you.  I got my three kids started young.  As they grew up, they always had a respect for guns and gun safety.  Now they have their kids shooting.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top