Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 4:27:22 PM EDT
I bought a new AK. In sighting it in I found it to shoot 10" to the right. Using my front sight tool, I can't get the sight to move with in it's base. I have used this tool with no problem on my SKS's. I opened the hole up in the tool with a drill to be sure it wasn't restricting it's movement. Won't move. Either way for that matter and I have soaked it in penatrating oil for the past hour. I have applied force to the tools handle with pliers. Still will not move!
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It is very common. I had one from HELL also.  I put it in a vise and used a over sized  socket on one side and a small socket  ( to push )on the other . Cranked down on the vise and it started to move. They can be a pain in the ass. WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
BFH?

Press?

MAPP?

You need to get more force on target somehow.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A little heat might help.  I like propane for the "low temp" work, but MAAP works quicker, you just have to be concious of what you are doing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Soak it in KROIL...It will creep into the sight and loosen it up.
Uhhh...usually an Hour isnt enough to do anything...soak it over night or longer.
KyARGuy
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!
I took two socketsas WarDawg described and my vice along with some heat to get it moving. Once it broke loose it actually cracked! Ha, new rifle. I would have expected this if it were a Vietnam trophy.
Once I got it to move it was still way to hard to move with the sight tool so I removed the post and pushed the round adjustment part completely out. Once I had it out I took a file to it and removed some metal all the way around it. It two trys to do this to get it to the point where I could adjust it with the tool. Before final assembly, I cold blued it with G-96 gun blue creme and coated it with oil. Job done the way it should have been done at the factory.
Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Dave
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top