Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:44:47 PM EDT
Money is sorta an issue. I want the Yugo but the WASR would fit me finacially. I can pick up a WASR for $375 or a Yugo UF for $530.  I 'can' spend the extra cash on the UF but the wife will have my ass.

I am having a hard time choosing. I have read pretty much everything in here about the two but I am still stuck.

I am leaning towards the Yugo and having to put up with a grumpy wife.

So what do you all think?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno man, how important is sex and hot food in your life?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yugos prolly a little better gun, and cooler, but the wasr is a great gun as well. I went with a wasr.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Yugo!

But then again dont listen to me, I'm always trying to get things I cant really afford
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres mine....................

Ordered it January 17th picked it up today.  WASR = Gratification now.  Yugo = Backoprder 2 month minimum.  Run from Centerfire Systems if you go YUGO they did not honor the $399 price agreed upon at order time and niether mag is Yugo or new.  I paid $425 + S&H

Strongly reccomend Aimsurplus or J&G Sales instead.  Oh you will pay $450 minimum for Yugo now add S&H and recieving your nearly $500.  Put a backorder on the Yugo and buy the WASR now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
J&G doesn't show them on their website.  Do they have them?  Roadtrip

Nope backordered over 1 month apparently C.A.I. will not even give projection of when and what quantity.  My/Our wait is due mostly to Century.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the yugo. The difference between my yogo and WASR i promptly dropped at a show was like a cinder block compared to a paper-mache sculpture of a cinder block. The yugo underfolders are solid as hell and have all those nice little features that make them a plain old neat rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I had talked with Centur last month and they have over 2000 backorders.  They are looking to start fulfilling orders around the end of MAY, so I would bet if you ordered now... August.

Oh yeah, that is why I am building my own.  for ~$400 including some tools like a 12t press, 6" vise, etc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yugos prolly a little better gun, and cooler, but the wasr is a great gun as well. I went with a wasr.

They're not probably a better gun...they ARE a better gun.  Period.  Lay the extra cash down on the Yugo, especially if it's a Zastava build.  Well worth the extra money.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent. Thanks for all the replies.

The dealer has 2 Yugos and a few WASR's in stock so there is no waiting.

How can I tell if its a Zastava build?

Hot food isn't an issue since I do most of the cooking. Sex could cause problems so we shall have to weigh the options. I've been months without it while I was on active duty so I think I could hold out for a couple weeks until the storm blows over.

I am going to try and get him to come down on the price but you never know. Being as he is the only dealer around that sells that type of weapon, im kinda stuck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#13]

How can I tell if its a Zastava build?

The left side of the receiver will have the text "Zastava Kragujevac, Made in Yugoslavia" on it...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Excellent. Im on my way to take a look at it now.

I'll post later with the outcome.

Thanks again for all the help.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a Yugo with a Century Arms receiver.

So whats the consensus now?

And I was looking at the sling, im totally confused on how that would go on. The dealer was even a little stumped. It was a pretty beat up looking leather one. It had a buckle on one end and a clip on the other.

It also came with a little metal canteen looking thing. And the bayonet was dull as a butter knife.

He said he would hold it for a couple days until I decided.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Noted.

Im kinda a sharp knife freak so it being dull bothered me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And I was looking at the sling, im totally confused on how that would go on. The dealer was even a little stumped. It was a pretty beat up looking leather one. It had a buckle on one end and a clip on the other.

It also came with a little metal canteen looking thing. And the bayonet was dull as a butter knife.

If the weapon is neccessary to be 922R compliant Reciever must be US made.  Look at the rear sight bloc also you will not the FSB and furniture is different as well.  Markings are a luxury that will not show up all the time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Im kinda a sharp knife freak so it being dull bothered me.

I like this guy. If you don't mind me asking Nathan, whereabouts in Virginia are you?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Build a Yugo Underfolder, I have $275.00 into mine with all of the US Compliant parts
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the weapon is neccessary to be 922R compliant Reciever must be US made.  Look at the rear sight bloc also you will not the FSB and furniture is different as well.  Markings are a luxury that will not show up all the time.

With this knowledge, how can I tell if there are any 'actual' Yugo parts on it? I trust the dealer when he says its a Yugo but I want to know for myself.

TheDarkBleeding: Check your PM's.

I would try and build one but have neither the tools, extra cash for the tools, knowhow or ability to build one. I intend to later in life but right now ill take a prebuilt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 for the Yugo
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I think im sold on the Yugo.

Aside from the dealers word (which I trust) how can I tell what parts are Yugo and what isn't. This of course excludes the Receiver which is stamped "Century Arms".

Thanks again for all the help.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I picked up the Yugo. It came with 2 Yugo mags, (bolt hold open) bayonet, leather sling, mag pouch, cleaning kit and some goofy little canteen looking thing.

The wood seems natural which I plan to redue asap. So far im happy. I am going to try and get to the range this weekend and give her a test run.

I've looked at pics on this board but I have no idea how to use attach the sling. Any ideas?

leather strap with a buckle on one end a clip on the other. I see how some go but I dont think the clip will fit through the buckle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Save a little more and get the Yugo. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the link to the sling assembly. It helped a lot!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top