Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/6/2006 3:14:04 PM EDT
I realize this is a bit OT, but I thought I'd ask. This forum has always been helpful, so I thought I'd try out the collective knowledge. I bought an AK bayonet, probably 10yrs ago, maybe more. It was only $20, so I doubt whether it is a highly valuable/desirably model, but I thought it would be cool to finally identify where it came from. I can't take or post a photo, but I'll give a description here, and if there is a photo list, could someone please link it? Thanks in advance.

Description:
Black scabbard, no extra rubber insulation piece, with wire-cutter assembly, 2 raised parallel ridges that go most of the way down the scabbard's length with a number molded into the plastic (1 [spaces]  1946/4); also has a frog which is clipped to the scabbard, made of gray-stained leather
Blade is cut for the wire-cutter, dropped point blade, with a saw-back section about 2/3 length of blade, and full circle "barrel ring" for lack of a better term
Handle is black plastic, and it's not one of the early pattern skinny types, more fat and short
Came with a Grayish/maybe OD piece of webbing attached to grip, looks original, but I could be wrong
Both scabbard and bayonet have a matching electro-pencilled serial #, so I'm guessing that was for the rifle they matched to. So, any thoughts? Maybe East German, I know they liked a little gray here and there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.    Oh, and since this is a magic number post, a few gratuitous icons...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Some bayonet info.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for both of the links, I will be using them.
ETA: I used the Gunboards link to check out photos, and my bayonet looks exactly like the one pictured with the caption of: East German AK 74 bayonet, Type II. So, my guess was kinda close (country of origin), but I had no idea it was a 74 pattern one. So, I didn't see a flashing, giant sign next to it saying it was super rare. Is it safe to assume that it is worth about $20-30 (what I paid) and that I should just enjoy having it? I think it's cool, but if it is rare by any means, I'd like to know. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top