Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:16:45 AM EDT
The stock and handguard on my WASR are wood stained in cherry.  Is there anyway to kind of make my plastic pistol grip look wooden? I know I could always buy a wooden one, but then I would have to sand it down and stain it to look like the rest of the wood and it probably wouldnt turn out the same.  I know it sounds silly, but has anyone ever tried to stain plastic lol?? Like I know that there won't be any wood grains showing since it is plastic, but would the stain adhere to the plastic and turn out the right color at least?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Staining is designed for Woods. Your plastic grip will not Absorb the "stain"...causing that liquid to run all over, and will result in a messed up pistol grip. Black/Brown/Red colored grip would compliment cherry wood furnitures.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
In 2001 I painted the grip of my SAR1 to simulate bakelite. I don't think it turned out to bad.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In 2001 I painted the grip of my SAR1 to simulate bakelite. I don't think it turned out to bad.

www.hunt101.com/img/393514.jpg

What type paint did you use?  I spritzed one of my spare US grips with Krylon Fusion satin burgundy.  Didn't turn out too bad but still seems a bit 'tacky' compared to the unpainted grip
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What type paint did you use?

Take a real close look at the pic and you’ll see a clue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What type paint did you use?

Take a real close look at the pic and you’ll see a clue.

He changed pix on me between the time I started typing & when I hit 'submit' (had to answer phone & whatnot...caught up in watching "Conan" on cable ....).  
Pic #1 was much larger & had no can of paint.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He changed pix on me between the time I started typing & when I hit 'submit' (had to answer phone & whatnot...caught up in watching "Conan" on cable ....).  
Pic #1 was much larger & had no can of paint.  

Sneeky SOB ain’t I!

Not trying to be a smart ass, didn’t realize you asked in-between my pic swap!  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Global Trades sells US made PGs in many colors.

You could also try soaking in for several days in rit dye.

I don't know how they do it, but the HK guys have stained their UMP and SL-8 poly from light grey to black.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Global Trades sells US made PGs in many colors.

You could also try soaking in for several days in rit dye.

I don't know how they do it, but the HK guys have stained their UMP and SL-8 poly from light grey to black.

Depending on type of material of the PG it can be dyed.  I dye AR furniture all the time, You have to go darker than the original color though, for instance, I can take Coyote brown to Black or dk green, or green to black or brown.

IM me if you want details.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
i would think dying would be the best option becuase IIRC it penetrates the material and light scratches wont leave a differnt color.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top